DiveRite Nitek he

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I inherited a Nitek he and I am not quite sure what to think about it.
I have seen references to it doing deep stops but I cant seem to find anything in the manual. Also the computer interface is ridiculously expensive I thought.

Anybody here using one?
Personally I would like a VR3 but this was free, well, sort of...

I like mine. I'm a student, so I can't afford the VR3, and the Nitek he does what I need it to. The downloader is expensive. Had a buddy that had problems with it, so I opted to use ReefNet's sensus ultra to get my dive data instead of getting the computer interface. (And that works really well for me.)

My only wish is that there was a way to store gasses. (So they didn't reset.)

I'm pretty sure it won't do deep stops. I normally just cut tables before the dive and do the deep stops anyway, using the penalty for conservatism.

Had an He, gave it to the wife and convinced her I needed a VR3. The compaint I had was the Cinderella factor on the resets at midnight. The downloaders can be found cheap on ebay sometimes, I picked mine up for $30. It works on the old Nitek's, Nitek 3's and He's.

Well I got the chance to use the Nitek He. I really liked it.
I did two DECO dives, planned, and it did a really great job. I was a little blown away how conservitive it is compared to my ATOM 1. The Nitek followed the plan we designed in v-planner quite closely. Much more closely than the Atom. The dives werent anything complicated, 110 feet for 20 minutes on a wreck with stops at 40-30-20 and 10. Both the Atom and Nitek came out of DECO mode before my plan did so I just followed the plan. We had actually calculated the depth of the dive at 120 and only went to 108 so it makes sense the computers finished before we did.

After diving with both computers I shutter at the thought of using the ATOM for anything other than what it was designed for, simple NDL rec diving. I only wish I had put the ATOM into conservitive mode to see how it compared. I will now use the Nitek as my primary computer and the ATOM is my backup.

As an added note, I realy liked the Display layout. Its easy to read and understand. My next dives I will do some gas switching to test that functionality out.

Scooter

You didn't dive deep enough (or long enough) for the deep stops issue with HEs to be apparent - on air or nitrox dives (provided that you don't do really deep air), following the HE will actually get you out of the water faster than a VR3. It is only on deeper trimix dives that it will penalize you for deep stops (stops other than what the HE mandates for you). You can read Dive Rite's explanantion for yourself. I have and dive a Nitek HE and think that for the price it is an excellent trimix or more than two gas nitrox computer - as a nitrox or air computer it is bulky, expensive and difficult to download. I have never gotten it to download to my laptop since it needs a serial port, my laptop doesn't have one, and serial port adapters don't seem to really work with the HE. I use a sensus ultra for dive tracking when diving the HE - it works fine with my serial adapter.

JMO,

Jackie

Jackie, you are corect. The dives were only a test.
My plan is to get a VR3. To me that is the yltimate computer but for most of the diving I am doing right now, the Nitek apears that it would be sufficient. Especially since I got it so cheap. I doubt I would have ever paid for one and the "Serial Port" download? :confused: What the heck is that about. Serial ports are so outdated and slow. I just can't understand a company that would not design an easy to use USB interface. Most Laptops today don't have serial ports nor do they have LPT ports. I wonder why they didn't design the download to use bi-directional LPT? LOL:rofl3: It would make about as much sense.

Back
Top Bottom