Divers Down watch out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My family recently took a cruise with Grand Cayman as a port of call. There were 8 of us who wanted to dive and we settled on Divers Down. Because there were 8 of us we chartered our own boat for a 2 tank 2 site dive. Nicole requested equipment needs and sizes, which I promptly sent her prior to leaving on the cruise.

On the day of the dive we got to the shop early and started filling out the paperwork and then started trying on equipment. They didn't have the proper sizes or quantities which delayed us (so why did she request the info?) we finally got the right gear after someone brought it from another dive shop. So we were told to grab our gear and head down to the dock, that the boat was on it's way. After waiting another hour we asked what was going on, and we were told that the boats battery was dead and they had to replace it. Finally the boat came and our dive master/boat captain 23 year old JENNY had us pick out weights from a jumble of weights and then we FINALLY got under way. By this time 2 of the allotted 4 hours was gone. We wanted to do a good wall dive and low and behold according to her we were at it! It was obvious she took us to the closest "wall dive" she could. She said we would be diving to max depth of 115 ft. We should get our gear on and meet in the water.

THERE WERE MANY NOVICE DIVERS IN THE GROUP SHE NEVER ASKED ANY OF US OUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL, NEVER ASKED OR PAIRED US UP, (WE PAIRED OURSELVES UP) HER DIVE BRIEF WAS.... WELL BRIEF. WE ALL WENT DOWN AND WAITED FOREVER FOR HER TO GET DOWN THERE USING UP VALUABLE AIR. WHEN SHE GOT DOWN SHE NEVER CHECKED ON US BUT JUST TOOK OFF. I COULD NOT FIND MY BUDDY AND WAS TRYING YO GET HER ATTENTION. FINALLY GOT HER ATTENTION AND JENNY HAD TAKEN HER BACK TO THE SURFACE DUE TO A CLEARING PROBLEM. MY BUDDY TOLD JENNY TO BE SURE AND TELL ME SHE WAS OK AND TO BUDDY ME UP WITH HER OR SOMEONE ELSE, WHICH SHE DIDN'T. WE STARTED THE DIVE AND JENNY WAS SO FAR OUT IN FRONT OF US THAT I COULD HARDLY SEE HER. ME AND MY SISTER WERE DESPERATELY TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH HER AND COULDN'T ENJOY THE DIVE. WE GOT BACK UP ON THE SHELF AND I CHECKED MY AIR AND WAS ALMOST AT 0 PSI I GRABBED MY SISTER INDICATED I WAS LOW AND WE ASCENDED.

THERE WAS NOTHING TO SEE ON THIS DIVE AND IT WAS DANGEROUS DUE TO JENNY'S UNPROFESSIONALISM. WHEN YOU GO DIVING YOUR LOOKING FOR A GOOD DIVING EXPERIENCE. THAT MEANS THINGS GO SMOOTHLY, THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT IS THERE FOR YOU IN GOOD CONDITION, THE BOAT (ESPECIALLY ON A CHARTER) IS THERE ON TIME AND READY TO GO AND YOUR DIVE MASTER IS SAFE, PROFESSIONAL, AND TAKES CARE OF YOU! THIS WAS NOT OUR EXPERIENCE BOTTOM LINE...BE WARY OF DIVERS DOWN AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU GET JENNY AS YOUR DIVE MASTER!

diskin1234,
welcome to this board.
heck of a first post.
would you consider going to grande cayman for a week and staying at a resort?
there is also a liveaboard for the caymans if you have to stay on a boat.
if you had gone with the ship's op, who would they have had you dive with?

Thanks. It helps when you post reviews like yours. Good or bad reviews help a lot of fellow divers avoid big mistakes or have a rewarding experience.

One of ScubaBoard's features that I like best is the ability to do research from the experiences of your peers.

Because there were 8 of us we chartered our own boat

Did all 8 of you know each other already?

They didn't have the proper sizes or quantities which delayed us (so why did she request the info?) we finally got the right gear after someone brought it from another dive shop.

Annoying but these things happen in the real world. Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.....and is one of the reasons I bought my own gear. I rely on myself.

we were told that the boats battery was dead and they had to replace it.

Again, annoying but these things happen in the real world. Be thankful it happened before you got out into the open ocean.

We wanted to do a good wall dive and low and behold according to her we were at it! It was obvious she took us to the closest "wall dive" she could.

This was your request. She complied. What is the problem?? She could have taken you to the farthest one away so you could not dive at all.

THERE WERE MANY NOVICE DIVERS IN THE GROUP SHE NEVER ASKED ANY OF US OUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL

So why were you hiding this information? Most people are open about this when they book the trip so they are sure the site is suitable. Perhaps you were and she was not told...bottom line is, TELL HER. Do not wait until after to complain. Tell her before you splash.

NEVER ASKED OR PAIRED US UP, (WE PAIRED OURSELVES UP)

If you knew each other, this should not really be that big a deal. After all, you should all know each other's "skill level" and comfort in the water and be able to make the safest pairing. Since you booked 8 people, she probably assumed you were all together and friends or family.

HER DIVE BRIEF WAS.... WELL BRIEF

This in and of itself means nothing. If she gives you all the necessary information and it takes a short period of time, then fine. If she missed important protocols etc. and site conditions then perhaps there is a problem.

WE ALL WENT DOWN AND WAITED FOREVER FOR HER TO GET DOWN THERE USING UP VALUABLE AIR. WHEN SHE GOT DOWN SHE NEVER CHECKED ON US BUT JUST TOOK OFF

First of all, was there a surface current that forced you guys to the bottom when she was on the surface? With no current, you might have been able to sit on the surface around the boat so you all descended together.

I COULD NOT FIND MY BUDDY

WHOA!!! This is your fault and not hers. How did you lose your buddy? If she had to take YOUR buddy up to the surface because of clearing issues, it means that 1. You were not watcher her when you should have been descending together and 2. you were so far away from her that your buddy had to go to someone else when she had a problem. Bad buddy skills so please work on those.

WE GOT BACK UP ON THE SHELF AND I CHECKED MY AIR AND WAS ALMOST AT 0 PSI I GRABBED MY SISTER INDICATED I WAS LOW AND WE ASCENDED.

What happened throughout the dive? Did you not check your air once? How was it a surprise when you hit almost ZERO and you still had to ascend? Again, not her fault...yours.

THERE WAS NOTHING TO SEE ON THIS DIVE

Sometimes that happens. Sometimes I enjoy just diving where you can hardly make out the bottom or the surface....but not always. Sometimes I will float 6" or 8" OFF the bottom and just stare at a rock or a piece of coral or a zebra mussel and I can do this for seconds, minutes or hours.....it is so relaxing.

IT WAS DANGEROUS DUE TO JENNY'S UNPROFESSIONALISM

I know lots of unprofessional people and they are not dangerous. It is dangerous practices that make it dangerous, not unprofessionalism.

WHEN YOU GO DIVING YOUR LOOKING FOR A GOOD DIVING EXPERIENCE. THAT MEANS THINGS GO SMOOTHLY

Not everything goes smoothly in the real world.

THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT IS THERE FOR YOU IN GOOD CONDITION, THE BOAT (ESPECIALLY ON A CHARTER) IS THERE ON TIME AND READY TO GO AND YOUR DIVE MASTER IS SAFE, PROFESSIONAL, AND TAKES CARE OF YOU!

I can agree with most of this but you need to learn how to take care of yourself so you do not have to rely on the DM. I do agree that they should bear some responsibility (HUGE debates on this) but ultimately, the buck stops with you my friend.

I hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable.

I have also just sent an email to the company so that they knew they were being discussed and could offer their side of the story if they felt so inclined.

My two buddies and I went out with Diver's Down a few weeks ago and had great dives. While it's too bad the boat had problems, stuff breaks. You really can't blame them for it.

As far as the dive goes, as certified divers, you don't have to dive any deeper, faster or longer than you want, and are responsible for your own gas management.

THERE WERE MANY NOVICE DIVERS IN THE GROUP SHE NEVER ASKED ANY OF US OUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL
That's on papers you filled out in the shop when you showed them your C-Cards and log books.

She said we would be diving to max depth of 115 ft.
That's a maximum, not a requirement. If you weren't all warm and fuzzy with the depth you should have stayed within your preferred depth range.

WE GOT BACK UP ON THE SHELF AND I CHECKED MY AIR AND WAS ALMOST AT 0 PSI I GRABBED MY SISTER INDICATED I WAS LOW AND WE ASCENDED.
The good part was that you ascended with your sister and didn't drown. The bad part is that you never checked your air until you were out.

Breathing is important. It's your responsibility to keep track of your tank pressure during the dive, turn the dive at your turn pressure if you had to get back to the boat, and start your ascent at your planned ascent pressure.

Just for future reference, no single DM in the world can give 8 divers the level of service you expected.

Terry

I'd be interested in seeing both the reply from the dive shop AND diskin1234's reply.

Diskin1234, sorry for the bad experience but when in the islands, EVERYTHING is slower. Things break and you'd think someone has to go back to the 'states to get parts. To me, it is simply a part of going to the islands - i love the island time frame of mind. All too often the cruise ship schedule puts you at odds because of your time constraints - and the locals simply ain't gonna budge in their pace.... many moved there because of that pace! As far as some of your remarks, I would like to know more about your diving experience. Keeping track of your air is certainly your responsibility. And WebMonkey states correctly, no DM will keep up.
Just an idea to think about, instead of a cruise, take a vacation on an island and experience that broken island clock.... you might like it!

The last cruise I took to GC, they used Red Sail. We had a great time, sometimes sticking with the cruise crowd is the best way to go. 1) they try to group skill levels together in some ports. 2) any problems and they will hold the ship for you. No need to worry about time. 3) The cruise line has checked them out. Sorry you had a bad time, but after an experiance in Aruba, I always stick with the cruise tours.

I agree with some of the above posters in that you shouldn't expect perfection in all things, and it sounds like you made more mistakes than the DM did. To me, it sounds like you were concentrating on all the negatives you experienced, and let that overshadow the good that came from just being under water!

Oh yeah... making it sound like the DM's fault that you sucked up all your air without looking at your gauge is just sad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom