Divers dying every lobster opening. This has to stop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can hear it now; "If you like your DAN, you can keep your DAN. If you like your buddy, you can keep your buddy". I think we all know just "how wonderful" that "experiment" has gone.

No. Some people actually re-elected him. 'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat its mistakes,' it's said. And now they think Hillary is going to run next.

Richard.

Legislation is NOT the answer, education for those that have the capability to hear it is.
There will always be a component of yay-hoo's that will do stupid things. I personally think it's completely unfair to make blanket rules and laws that affect everybody just to protect the lowest possible denominator from themselves.
We see way too much of this already and that's what has to stop, not the idiots killing themselves lobster diving.

No. Some people actually re-elected him. 'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat its mistakes,' it's said. And now they think Hillary is going to run next.

Richard.

Didn't realize I had wandered into The Pub

---------- Post added October 11th, 2014 at 07:53 AM ----------

And what mouth-breathing, tin-badge little tax funded drones should handle that new requirement?

Here in California dive and boat operators require you to show a valid c-card. Easy peasy. No tax supported regulators involved in that. For those filling their own tanks, etc., they may elude such enforcement but that's up to them. I'm not a big fan of rules for personal diving (but believe in them for safety and courtesy where others are involved such as at busy dive parks, on dive boats, etc).

It's interesting where this thread has gone. It almost immediately jumped to legislation and laws and how dare any infringe on our right to kill ourselves.

The original question was;

The diving deaths in our community are senseless and needless. Something needs to be done. I have some of my own thoughts, but want to hear yours. What can we do, as a community, to stop this?

As a community, we need to come together to educate and inform. To stand up and say, "Friend, you really need to do a daytime, refresher dive before going lobstering at night after not diving for a year. Come on, let's go for a dive!" I do not want legislation, nor would I welcome it, however if we are going to say we are self-regulating, we should self-regulate. It is just as OK to tell someone they should not be diving as it is to tell them they should not be driving if that is the case.

Scubatude:

I considered the issue of whether any of us were being overly sensitive, but the original title of the thread was:

• Divers dying every lobster opening. This has to stop!

'Has' to stop. When such a sentiment is stated in such a demanding fashion, it is apt to be taken by others as meaning the originator has a 'do whatever it takes' mindset on the issue, and that's likely to involve imposing regulation.

By analogy, consider the real world example of the New York Mayor who wanted to basically outlaw super-sized non-diet sodas at restaurants. In theory, the desire was to 'help' people. Education efforts have been done (across the U.S.); people know or should know that non-diet sugary drinks have lots of calories which make people fatter and increase risk of heart attack and shortened life (and diabetes and some other things, but keeping it simple...), and the info. is readily available online. But despite all that, and whatever partial successes there have been, there were just too many fatty's drinking real big cups of non-diet soda to suit the Suits and busybodies!

After the state attorney's general managed mass robbery of the tobacco companies (from what I recall only a very small faction of the money went to help smokers; I'm not advocating smoking or tobacco companies, but that was high-way robbery, even if you hate the victims), for awhile people were even speculating about the potential for lawyers to go after 'Big Food' (a knock off from 'Big Tobacco').

So, in the modern day U.S. with this cultural backstory, when somebody posts publicly about something they don't like and claim 'This has to stop,' they may get this reaction.

Richard.

Ok, I avoided even reading any of this thread 'til page 12.... at a glance how did Obama get here??? I'm LMFAO.

The title should have been; "Divers Die for Lobster! Get over it!"
People can be ignorant idiots, we're not their police. Pray for the poor hard working souls who do this **** for a minute paycheck...

Here's one of a gazilion links to REAL divers that die for lobster/living;

Dying for Lobster

Send ALL your extra bottom timers and pressure gages to the Mosquito Coast, as well as any extra portable "Chambers" you may have. Boycott "Red Lobster" Corp...

...much is written

Be Safe Out There!

Back
Top Bottom