Divers Found Drifting Way Offshore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing goes wrong in paradise, lol. When divers need to come up early, the DM shoots it from depth and has them go up the line. I've always carried my own. It's how it's done in Texas too.
I don't know if any ops require one, but having one makes at least one op more likely to give you some freedom.

But it didn't, it happened with this one...who is getting off apparently without even a slap on the wrist.
How would you know how lightly the dive op is getting off? What do you think their punishment should be?

The boat the divers came from can hold up to 30 passengers.
A thirty pax boat rules out most operators. If it was running multiple DM's and groups I can see it being very confusing for the DM's to keep track of their individual group. If separation happens early and a DM assumed they had re-attached themselves to another group, off the same boat, due similar bottle marking but in reality had not then over the course 30-45 minutes a lot of separation can occur. In a moderate current with less than ideal visability you can lose sight of your group in the blink of an eye, plan for it. Off the end of Cedral and Santa Rosa it is not unusual to have a surface current angling you off towards the channel.

Of course this is just speculation. By the way what was the surface weather like? I was watching the Hurricane off the Pacific coast and it looked like a lot of weather over the Yucatan to Cuba.

The point of the post is to remind everyone to be vigilant and be prepared to handle these kind of situations. It could happen with any dive op.

It objectively was not the point. The OP literally says:

Be careful who you are diving with. Make sure that your divemaster is legally allowed to lead your dive. There seems to be lots of unqualified people working here now.

That isn't an "always be prepared" message.

It's telling us to be careful in choosing dive ops. To someone new to Cozumel, it seems like choosing a well-established dive op would be a good first step. But in this case, the dive op that doesn't seem to field qualified DMs is already a well-established shop. So I'm with those who ask, what good is a whispered "make sure not to choose an op like this one" if we don't know which one it is?

Cost's PENNIES......4 inches square,,,,,fits in your weight pouch.

GarbageBg_Sealed.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom