Divers Found Drifting Way Offshore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can divers drift that far? It must have been a hell of a current.
Drifting one mph? Not that fast. A leisurely stroll is 2-3 mph.

Now I don't feel so geeky carrying a PLB, which I would have fired after 30 minutes.

Are you going to tell the name of the boat, captain, and operator, or protect his business so he can impose further risks? An op that screws up like this surely has other bad actions unexposed.

How can the captain not be looking for them for over 2 hours after a dive? Was he sober?

How can divers drift that far? It must have been a hell of a current.
I'm not going to name the business. It is well established. Our captain radioed the divers boat and told him he had three of their divers. I think he was looking in the park area for them. The currents are brisk in some areas here and it changes day to day. Out in the channel the currents can move pretty fast. All I can say is these people were lucky they were found by chance. The weather here is not too good right now with wind waves and rain.

I'm not going to name the business. It is well established. Our captain radioed the divers boat and told him he had three of their divers. I think he was looking in the park area for them. The currents are brisk in some areas here and it changes day to day. Out in the channel the currents can move pretty fast. All I can say is these people were lucky they were found by chance. The weather here is not too good right now with wind waves and rain.
I'm afraid that makes you part of the problem.

I'm not sure what you see as so honorable in protecting the anonymity of a bad operator. If it's so well established then there would be no reason for this thread.

I'm afraid that makes you part of the problem.
How is that? All I said was be careful who you dive with because you may or may not have someone qualified to be your guide. There are locals and ex pats working here guiding dives in the marine park and all they have is advanced diver certification. There is no checks by Parque Marino to ensure who is qualified to work.

How is that? All I said was be careful who you dive with because you may or may not have someone qualified to be your guide. There are locals and ex pats working here guiding dives in the marine park and all they have is advanced diver certification. There is no checks by Parque Marino to ensure who is qualified to work.

How is one to be "careful who you dive with" if they don't have good info on the bad actors?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom