Divers Found Drifting Way Offshore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard any Coz dive op even recommend that divers carry a DSMB much less require one. I've probably dived with at least 10 different ops.
That's been my experience also. But everyone in my group carries one anyway. I'm usually at the tail end of our group, and have found that sometimes currents split, like a fork in the road... taking the guide and the front of the group one direction, the tail of the group in a slightly different direction. The guides never seem too concerned when we get separated, but I've never known if it's because they're not concerned in general, or just not concerned because they know I'm playing sweeper.

It could happen with any dive op.
But it didn't, it happened with this one...who is getting off apparently without even a slap on the wrist. How does this help it not happen again...with you?

Perhaps one of the three almost-lost divers will say the name of the operator. After all, that is a simple fact, not an accusation.

Divers have a lot of freedom diving in Cozumel in general, that is part of the allure I suppose.

Reactions: BRT
For all of you insisting the OP should name the dive op, the point of this post was not to tell everyone "don't use this dive op!"

The point of the post was to tell you that this happened with a well-established dive op... so you should assume it could happen to any dive op. I'll admit that when I dive in Coz, I usually bring my SMB, whistle, and dive-alert airhorn. But sometimes I slack off, and trust that everything will be fine... as it always has been.

The point of the post is to remind everyone to be vigilant and be prepared to handle these kind of situations. It could happen with any dive op.
What are we supposed to do with our tar and feathers now?

I have never had any problems in Coz either, but I still carry every piece of safety gear I own, including DSMB, flashlight, signal mirror, two whistles, and at least one PLB, and maybe an Inreach Mini. I have been given some weird looks by some DMs and other divers, but hey, I don't give a damn about what they think. I do care about what my family is going to think if I get separated/left/lost because I did not do everything I can to help my survival odds.

Wow, most boats in Coz don't carry THAT many divers, it is hard to imagine how nobody on the boat would've noticed they were three people short after ending the dive - even if the crew failed to do a basic headcount which is inexcusable. If this is all true, why hide the name of the op? If they are that well established, they owe it to the public to explain what happened and exactly how they are addressing it.
The boat the divers came from can hold up to 30 passengers.

I understand your hesitancy to name the dive op and dealing with any backlash. So how about we say "rhymes with...."

Attachments

• wink.jpg
    wink.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 30
I really try to avoid being harsh, but if I happen to be choosing a dive op - and thinking they're reputable - and they're THE SAME dive op who stranded these divers ... then I don't get the benefit of the op's post?

JFS,
THANK YOU for saving 3 lives today while you were out fishing! It could have been me, and I would be grateful for your rescue!!! I sure hope the 3 divers are counting their blessings tonight......
100% credit goes to Capt Rully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom