DIVERS KNIFE is it still nescesary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steeldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'Ve noticed at the dive sites latetly an alarming increase in divers
not wearing a divers knife.I certainlly dont dive without one ,A small BC knife cliped onto my gauges easily acsesable and unobtrusive.Over the years i have had call to use my knife to free myself from fishing line and once to free a turtle stuck in a gill net.
I have quite a collection the enormous Rambo type's popular in the seventies to the excellent ones brought out in the 90's.
Is it just to much hastle to strap on a knife or
Is this a new FASHION TREND?
Howard.

Shears,linecutters THEY ALL OUT PERFORM THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS.
I encourage my rescue diver candidates who don't own line cutters to cary one of those diposible utility knives in their bc pockets.
Howard

I use emt shears but they get really rusty. I found a coating of silicon helps get rid of rust but it's really messy. Any neater ways of keeping the shears rust free?

er.. this is my personal experience:

had some spare cash (returned my console to the lds and got in-store credit for it) so i've got one of those oceanmaster *gasp* titanium blunt tip knife.. with big TITANIUM letters on its side.

dove for a while with it and started reading about knifes, with people everywhere saying those big knifes are useless, should get shears or small BC knife...

now i have my 4.5 inch blade knife, dont' feel like spending another (small this time) $$$

so i am just really ashamed strappping that thing to my leg before dive, hope nobody notices that i have it... or latelly, trying to find a way to mount it on a harness so it is not right into people's eyes...

sigh... i like knifes. don't want to get rid of this one but reading the stuff online makes me feel like a such a wannabe :D

I always carry two cutting devices no matter where i dive. I carry a small knife on the waist band of my BP harness and a set of EMT shears in my bellow pocket.If im diving a highly populated fishing area i carry a third cutting device, a z-knife. You can never predict when you will get tangled in something.It just makes good sense to carry at least a set of EMT shears.Besides they are cheap.

The only place that my EMT shears have rusted is on the rivet.I do clean them after every dive and give them a coating of slicone to help prevent rust.

I wear a knife on my leg. It's more mid size, it works. If the size of my knife shocks ayone, who cares? They don't have to wear it.

-Dennis

I carry a small blunt tip line cutting knife, a set of EMT shears both mounted on my upper left BC and a back up/ killing knife (spearfishing) on my right leg.

Any rust gets knocked off with steel wool and a dose of silicon spray.

I have almost always worn a dive knife, regular sized, and without reservation or embarassment. A dive knife is a necessity, as it will get a diver out of lines, nets, etc., and can also be used for prying.

Here's some of the uses I've put my knife through in my diving career:

--Cut two Korean pilots out of their parachute harnesses and tangled lines after they were ejected on impact through the canopy of their F-86 when it crashed into the Yellow Sea. The pilots had not survived, but at least their bodies were recovered by our helicopter rescue crew. Without a knife, that would not have been possible.

--Regularly cut fishing line to collect fishing lures and weights out of the Oregon rivers I dive. I also use the knife to pry the weights out of crevices they've become lodged into in the rock bottom. Recovering lead weights does two things: 1. It rids the water of lead, and that water is used for drinking water by many municipalities. It also helps get toxic lead out of the river for the aquatic life. 2. They can be used for diving weights with the appropriate molds (however, I gave mine to a fire department over 10 years ago, and haven't seen it since). That means free weights. Lures cost $1 to $2.50 each, and it's now pretty easy to get ten to twenty dollars worth on a dive in the right places.

--Cut monofilament line that has become entangled in my equipment.

--I used my dive knife to cut about a 3 inch diameter rope and fishing net, the top rope of a fishing net, off the anchor of a missionary ship on Thetis Island, BC when I was a teen. A knife needs serrations to do this kind of job, and it took us about half an hour of cutting to get it off.

I currently dive a Wenoka Sea Style dive knife with a 5 inch blade (which may not be made anymore). The blade has a line hook in it, and two serrated areas (one on the top about two inches long, and one near the line hook about 1.5 inches long.

This knife has a button locking mechanism in the handle (which is red; I like it to be bright), and can be handled one-handed. I attach it to my right calf, usually on the outside, but will rotate it to the inside if there is a lot of kelp or other sea weeds around. Its handle can also be disassembled for cleaning by unscrewing the top cap, unscrewing the locking mechanism with their special key, and sliding the plastic handle out. This makes for good cleaning, and corrosion prevention. Even "stainless" steel will corrode if exposed to salt water and not properly cleaned, dried and oiled.

I highly recommend keeping your knife very sharp, either by learning to use a stone/steel combination or by taking it to a cutlery periodically to be sharpened. To be effective, it should be sharp.

Diving knives are not macho, self-defense weapons, such as is seen in the movies. They are tools that will allow a tangled diver to get out of trouble, and should be treated with that respect, kept sharp and corrosion-free, and worn on every dive. You never know when there may be a need, and if you do need a knife, it's usually too late to go back on shore to get it.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom