DIVERS KNIFE is it still nescesary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...a little knife is a great tool for sharpening pencils... too hard to do that with EMT shears... so I carry both.

But most folks are overlooking drilling needs.

Sure it doesn't come up that often... but when you do need to drill a hole... especially in metal... EMT shears or that titanium pig sticker are not going to get the job done... no siree.

An air drill with inflator nipple is just the ticket for those jobs!

Uncle Pug - you should patent your little airdrill idea in a nice, easy to carry case for ice - divers. When they find themselves almost OOA and trapped under the ice, they can just drill themselves a neat little hole and stick their snorkel up. No problems, right? :p:snorkel:

I have never used my knife while underwater. I have never used the airbags in my car either. I'll keep the knife on just in case.

Jimi

The main excuse i get when questioning divers
on where is your knife? is,
'I've lost it"
AS i have picked up well over 10 knives on dives i can well believe it(its a pity they dont leave the scabards behind)
TWO MEATHODS INSURE I DONT LOOSE MINE
1. Attach some of that nylon coiled line they put on those keyrings
costs about R4.streches out to about 2m/6ft and you can break it if nessesary.When not in use coils up neatly,[comes in a colour of your choice.]
2. Put a piece of velcro as an extra hold around the handle so
even if the clip is trigered the knife stays in place.You get
them ready made up here to secure your bicycle pump onto the frame.
Hey i still think that knife on the calf is the coolest
Attaching it to my console gives me one less item to leave behind.
Howard

I carry both a serrated knife (easily accessible) as well as EMT shears in a pocket on every dive.

Uncle Pug says:
But most folks are overlooking drilling needs.

Sure it doesn't come up that often... but when you do need to drill a hole... especially in metal... EMT shears or that titanium pig sticker are not going to get the job done... no siree.

An air drill with inflator nipple is just the ticket for those jobs!

Is that the kind I remember from a dentist's office? :D

SeaRat

Small (3" maybe) blunt tip serrated one side and plain sharp edge other, attached to my BC inflator hose. Since it stays attached to my regs I never forget it. The shears are tucked under pocket upside down on Ranger BC waist belt. You can't really see them and I once forgot I had them. I did remember and use my knife instead. My 2 sons carry shears and titanium blunt tip knives (5"). Mostly I stab peanut butter and fruit w/ mine.

If you're a UW photographer or videographer, a knife is useful for indicating the size of the object being captured. I simply place the knife next to the object (if it's stationary) and take the shot. It gives the viewer a perspective as to the size of the object.

Barracuda2

... along with torch, smb, whistle - required on every dive.

Keep all safety gear as compact as possible without compromising it's purpose.

If you have extra purpose (fish killing while spearfishing) then get one tool that does both jobs

still should have extra line cutter and keep all gear within reach

interesting. i'll ask some of the divers this weekend :D

actually, where i usually go most rent their equipment. so a knife/cutter/shears ain't something they have/bring.

those that do have/bring their own equipment for some reason don't carry cutting instruments, either. except the DM's and instructors i notice.

perhaps it's because >half 'follow the lead' and probably bank on their guides to get 'em out of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom