DIVERS KNIFE is it still nescesary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perhaps it's because >half 'follow the lead' and probably bank on their guides to get 'em out of trouble.

I think you have it there actually - it does seem that most of the divers who expect to be guided seem to have lesser independance or rather self-reliance for their own safety.

Oh man I can't imagine not carrying a knife. I've never been tangled in stuff, but it comes in handy on every dive. I've used it to remove old fishing line from a piece of coral, to pick up a shell I couldn't get my fingers under, and many other things.

I currently only carry one but I plan on getting a Z knife as a backup.

jiveturkey:
I use emt shears but they get really rusty. I found a coating of silicon helps get rid of rust but it's really messy. Any neater ways of keeping the shears rust free?

go to a good fishing tackle store. they sell EMT shears that are stainless.

I carry a 3" knife on my BC, it is a blunt tip, with line cutter. It is useful for alsorts of things, most importantly is to cut monofilament.

Also it is the best protection against sharks that I know. All you need to do is to cut your buddy, and swim in the other direction. It is a lot easier to do that effectively with a serated knife blade than EMT shears. :wink:

I like the "airbag" analogy. Just because you have never used it yet doesn't mean you don't want one for when you need it.

I carry the coolest knife in the world, the Aeris/Oceanic knife locked into the backside of the Aeris console. (I just have to remember to remove the knife for flying - I goofed once!)

I also carry Trauma Shears. They may rust, but I am not worried because I bought a half dozen at $2.00 each. No, not a typo, two dollars. Check out

http://www.emergencytees.com/

and search for shears.

Wristshot

Boogie711:
they can just drill themselves a neat little hole and stick their snorkel up. No problems, right?
Only if it's pink.
Rick

Around here there is abundant monofilament, and steel (piano wire) leader to snag your gear. Shears of some sort work best for that, so if you're only going to carry a single cutting device that's what I recommend. (A knife will not cut steel leader worth a flip).
Personally I usually carry a small blunt tip knife (LDS) and some Gerber stainless fishing shears (Walmart). When spearfishing I carry the pig-sticker on the leg.
Rick

I understand that in the Cayman Islands you are not allowed to dive with a knife, (shears are OK). It has something to do with the local dive sites being considered a protected marine environment.

BTW I have a RAMBO style knife ,,,, I should not have bought it. oh well

Back
Top Bottom