Divers rescued after boat sinks - Myrtle Beach SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask what kind of freighter, if you know (container ship, bulk carrier?)

Thousands of boats anchor on the water every night.............
Name one single reason it's acceptable for one boat to RAM another boat (and it's a dive boat too) and sink it ?? ?
Chill out. The poster was asking for more information and at no point suggested that what happened was acceptable.

I had instructed the crew to hand me knife as I was on the gunnel with the freighter hull only a couple of feet to my back as I made to cut the anchor line just before it freed.As we were obviously sinking I used the knife to cut the painter line on the liferaft with enough scope to guide it around the hull to the stern port corner where we boarded after gathering what safety and personal items we could and crew donning lifevests.I had the crew activate the onboard EPIRB.

All this took less than 5 minutes.

Such an amazing speed of doing all this! I am not familiar with emergency boat sink procedure. Did you guys practice or drill it regularly?
I can't imagine the outcome if you all not well prepared and looked so calm to handle such a catastrophic event. Salute to you.

Wow. Glad you are all ok!

Thousands of boats anchor on the water every night.............
Name one single reason it's acceptable for one boat to RAM another boat (and it's a dive boat too) and sink it ?? ?
Act of war.

Well, it's true.

Demolition derby? I've seen it done with cars, trucks, combines, and seen video of it done with motorcycles. Surprised if some promoter has not found a way of doing it with boats yet.

Direct quote from the Coast Guard:

"The fishermen had a life raft, satellite phone and an EPIRB that directly contributed to us rescuing them so quickly," said Lt. J.B. Zorn, the Sector Charleston public affairs officer. "Their safety equipment took the search out of search and rescue."

Well done to everyone involved (except the freighter, of course).

Glad everyone is ok. What are the consequences for the freighter in this situation?

Jay

I haven’t seen a boat without EPIRB though, including this one.
I doubt that any type of charter would go beyond cell phone range without, but some private boaters make the news every year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom