Divers Should Be Able To Dive Vandenberg SATURDAY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me and my buddy are going to the keys on Monday for 4 days of diving. We are going to spend a day down there diving the Vandenbuerg now, what are some of the charter prices? We want to go either Tuesday the 2nd, or Wednesday the 3rd?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I just called Captains Corner, and there are not running trips on the two days I need. Any other advice for good operators would be helpful!

Thanks!

Last edited:
The two dishes were dislodged.

The forward dish (smaller), landed to the Port side. The larger aft dish landed on the starboard side.

We went out to the site Friday morning and attached some chains and cables to both dishes. I suspect the first real hurricane will change the position so dive it soon if you want to see the dishes.

The visibility was very nice on deck, looked like interior was staring to clear out also (no time/gas for serious penetration dive).
The current was moderate but there is lot of ship to hide behind.
Temp above was in low 80s, but dropped to mid 70s around 75 feet.

Try Bonsai, they have a six pack operation. Just google Bonsai diving, Key west Florida. About $100 with tanks weights

Does anyone have the profile/depths yet? Sand, main deck, top of dishes, etc. Wondering how long before some good site maps are out..... How are currents expected to be in that part of the water?

Bow is at 142 and Stern is at 153. Dishes range from 65-85 based on the angle they lay. It is 57ft from the deck at the bow to the sand, and 70ft from the stern deck to the sand. Superstructure that was placed for Virus lifted and then partially collapsed from the hydrodynamic force of the sinking. There is a slight starboard list. There are 6 mooring balls on the wreck, and marine life is already taking up residence on the wreck.

Current today was RIPPING and some divers were flags on the line just holding on. But you can get some good shelter in the wreck once you get down below the top levels of the wreck for protection. BUT on the flipside, the water is a nice deep blue in the stream out there, so vis is good to excellent so far for all the days I have dove it so far

Anything else you wanted to know, just ask.

WreckDivingFool (so vis is good to excellent so far for all the days I have dove it so far) That would be once.:D

I called six shops in Key West today. None of them allow doubles, most of the shops only stay at the wreck between 20-30 min., and some of them only let you go to 100' because they only offer guided tours. Just some info for those of you thinking about diving it. Prices ranged from $55-$99 without any gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom