• Dives equal Messages within a few months

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Dives ahead of Messages by a year or so

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Dives WAY more than Messages

Votes: 22 33.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=>Larry<=-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This post marks an interesting numerical coincidence for me in that my number of Dives exactly matches my number of Messages at 155. I suspect this is a bit rare as I'm a middling frequent diver for 7 years AND also a middling frequent poster [I do have a day job after all!]

An excellent opportunity to try posting a poll! - Where are y'all ??

To that end - I have a set of definitions around this comparison:

Messages way more than Dives: For those experienced divers who ALSO post a lot [It is much easier to log multiple messages in a short session] - - and also for those just starting out!

Messages ahead of dives by a year or so: Remember - your profile gives a posts/day metric. Too bad the dives/day metric is REALLY small for most of us.

Messages & Dives within a few months: OK - Am I the only one here?

Dives ahead of messages by a year or so: You'll probably have a pretty full logbook - but then those messages can catch up fast!

Dives way more than messages: Reserved for Dive Gods and for the occaisional lurker who is lured out of reading by the chance to have us consider them a Dive God !!

Enjoy!

Originally posted by -=&gt;Larry&lt;=-
Dives ahead of messages by a year or so: You'll probably have a pretty full logbook - but then those messages can catch up fast!

I'd love to have that much experience, but alas... I have a day job! :)

are these real or imaginary dives?

I'm with Spectre, I'd love to have that many dives...

Ty

I don't understand the poll. I could understand it if it were numbers, but when you start using months and years, I'm lost. My logged dives still number more than my posts. That will change.

Since my posts don't show anymore ..I would have to say my dives are finally more! Ha!

Originally posted by Walter
I don't understand the poll. I could understand it if it were numbers, but when you start using months and years, I'm lost. My logged dives still number more than my posts. That will change.

Sorry Walter, - I was trying to design the poll to apply to a bunch of different experience levels.

For you [1212 posts at a rate of 1.8 per day]

even to within a month or two = 1212 to ~1320 dives
Dives ahead by a year or so = Dives > 1860
Dives way more than messages [sort of where I think you fit] - Well I didn't specifiy how far in the future that might be - but if it took five years posting at your current rate that would get you up to about the 5000 mark.

For me, almost any of those #'s are hard to imagine!, but then my max dive rate is ~10/month and average is ~2/month, while I average about a 0.6 posts a day - so I've been watching my post # creep up on my dive # steadily for the last couple of months!

Thanks!

I think having a current dive count included with every person's post (just as number of posts, avatar and location are included) would be VERY useful....probably even more useful than the number of posts.

I think it would also be useful to include any leadership certs the person has (DM, AI, instructor).

None of these is an absolute indicator of overall "diving intelligence", but these factoids would help to add some perspective to each person's comments......

My $0.02.

Back
Top Bottom