DiveSergeant's Grenada Trip Report- Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Greg,

We used Terry Abraham for most of our taxi transport. Check with TBBR they can arrange pickup and return to the airport. We booked our diving and lodging direct and didn't use an agency, so it might be different since the agency doesn't need to get a share! If we remember correctly, for both of us to be picked up upon arrival and then returned for departure was a total of $60US. We paid separately for this, but it was arranged by TBBR. Check with TBBR and ask if they can arrange it, they should be able to.

We booked Mandoo through his website; Grenada Tours with Mandoo's Tour and Taxi Service in Grenada. We did the north route. He's kind of casual about emails so be patient with him. But, he'll give you a hell of a tour / civics lesson / history lesson! His life experiences and education give him a worldly perspective rooted in a traditional native Grenada frame of mind. He was fascinating.

On the dives, each person, or at least each buddy team, had a marker. As each buddy pair got low on air they would surface and get picked up, so the air hogs like me wouldn't force air misers to come up early. I strongly recommend each person has a marker for safety. If for no other reason, it makes you more comfortable to have one.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions. Mrs DS and I truly enjoy passing on what we found out and learned if it can help someone else have as great of a time as we did!

DS

Thanks
I'll get in touch with TBBR for the transfer. One question is are there any time limits on the dives? Luckily my wife and I breathe like fish so we usually just come up so everyone doesn't have to wait on us. But if the dives going great I like to stay down as long as possible.

Dear All,
sorry, haven't been on the board for a while and so many questions...
AA flies three times a week from Miami direct We,Fr,Su and the Eagle from San Juan Th, Sa, Mo.
There is talk about Delta from NY this winter, but not confirmed yet.
(all subject to change sometime...) The allowance is two bags 50lbs and one carry on. No problem there. Going to St. Vincent with Liat is another story, one bag 50 lbs and a small carry on of 15 lbs. They will charge for extra bags 60,-$ and take them only on "space available".
So far no Nitrox in St. Vincent, but the critter diving is mostly shallow. Kay from Indigo Dive runs a nice small shop. La Luna Grenada and Young Island St. Vincent are great choices.
At the Grenada airport you can just grab a taxi, there are usually plenty. They will charge ca. 15,-US$ to the hotels in the south, like True Blue Bay Resort. Make sure you agree on the fare before you enter the cab. If you book an airport transfer, you'll pay a bit more- but have your roundtrip organized and somebody waiting for you.
When it comes to markers, whistles and similar devices, I believe that every diver should have them- unless you feel expendable.......
For experienced divers, that like to dive on their own, we expect them to have reels and DSMB.
Critters are great at the moment, Seahorses, Frogfish, Pipefish, Banded Jaw etc.
For the friends of the bigger stuff, Eagle and Stingrays, the occasional Manta, big and baby Nurse sharks, Barracuda and for people that don't make a lot of bubbles some shy Reefsharks too.
Besides that- the beauty of the ocean is, it's always good for a surprise.
And last, Sarge, have a great time in Cayman for your aniversary.
Happy diving,
Peter

There we go, forgot the "limits". The regular schedule runs in the morning two dives: one hour, low gas or end no deco time, whatever comes first with a one hour surface interval. One dive in the afternoon, around an hour. For group/ private charters, you can do what you want, I mean almost....

There we go, forgot the "limits". The regular schedule runs in the morning two dives: one hour, low gas or end no deco time, whatever comes first with a one hour surface interval. One dive in the afternoon, around an hour. For group/ private charters, you can do what you want, I mean almost....

Thanks Peter,
Thanks for the info can't wait to see you on the 22nd of Sept. My wife and I will be diving with you for 5 days so please save those manta's till we get there. My wife loves the frogfish and seahorses. See you soon.
Greg

Hi Greg,
we can tie up the frogs and horses, but those rays are kind of difficult.....
I'll be coming back from Germany on the 23rd, so see you then.
The crew will take good care of you.
See you soon,
Peter

That all looks great - so good in fact I have just redeemed some flyer miles and booked myself a week at TBB next May.

Looking forward to the Bianca C. Did I read in a magazine recently that you need several logged dives at 40m to be able to do it all? I have one at this depth from my Deep spec course, but nothing more?

All Aquanauts "required" was that you had dived recently and had the PADI AOW or equivalent. I required of my myself and my girlfriend a couple of progressively deeper dives prior to diving the Bianca C. The bow is in ~40 meters of water and the stern is ~30. The deepest I got on the Bianca (two weeks ago) was 35 meters.

A couple of divers in our group never dipped below 30 meters. It is certainly possible to get down to 40 or even lower but you don't have to.

Aquanauts won't take you to the Bianca C on your first dive. They will want to see how you perform in the water first.

Saltybeer,

Glad the report and responses helped! I think you'll have a great time.
DS

Hi All Grenada fans,
nice discussion and exchange here.
Just for clarification about Bianca C:
Bottom: 51 meter / 170 ft
Stern top: ca. 36 meter / 120 ft
Bow top: ca. 30 meter / 100 ft
Pool: 39 meter / 128 ft , saltwater......
Mast tip: 21 meter / 68 ft
Length: ca: 200 meter / 600ft

Certification: Advanced Open Water Diver or equivalent OR proof of recent deep diving experience.
Max Depth for Recreational Divers 40 meter ( as ordered by training agencies and insurer)
For the bottom or penetration Tech certification is required.
We offer all the training and equipment up to Rebreather.

This IS an Advanced dive.
Some might have experienced it as an "easy walk in the park", but visbility and currents at this location are very unpredictable and can be bad. The dive is usually conducted as a Drift Dive, negative entry, descend with a reference line only (no mooring).
Nitrox is highly recommended for some bottom time and a computer is mandatory.
We prefer that divers have been diving with us on other location before, but it is also a question of experience and common sense.
Even she's crumbling, this is still one of the best wreck dives in the world.
I love it.
Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom