Diving Accident on Monterey Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emilyrose: Your posts have been extraordinary. The dive community mourns the loss of your Father. When we lose a fellow diver we look to see what can be done to prevent another loss. Your attitude and forbearance will help us all. Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Emily - Thanks for the posts, and my thoughts and prayers are with you in your lose. I express my condolences sincerly to you during this time.

I'm still learning my way around this forum, so there's a good chance this post is entirely pointless and unnecessary, but since I don't know exactly how things work yet, and don't want to see this thread disappear before we have a chance to try to figure out what happened and what we can learn from it, I wanted to mention this just in case...

I have no idea how long it will be until I have any more information about what happened, and it may well be several weeks until I know more, or until I even have the chance to talk to anyone who was on the boat with him, since there is still an investigation going on and however unlikely it is that there will be any sort of liability issues we still have to wait until all that is finished to talk to anyone involved... But as soon as I do have more information, and am allowed to talk about it publicly, I intend to come back here and post anything I can that could possibly help explain what happened, and hopefully we can figure out how this happened, and anything that could have been done differently that might have prevented this.

Of course, I hope that people can learn as much as possible from this so diving will be that much safer for them in the future and all of that, but my motives for wanting to figure out what happened aren't entirely altruistic -- it'll help me trying to make sense of all this, and more than that, it might make it easier to convince my mom not to follow through on her threat to chain me up somewhere if I try to go diving again (which will be as soon as my schedule allows -- I love diving, and have no intention of giving it up any more than I'd stop driving if it had been a car accident instead), so just to be clear that when I'm offering to post whatever information I have once I have more information, it's as much for myself as for the larger dive community, and there's no need to think of it as some really generous act or anything like that.

But yeah, basically I just wanted to say that there hopefully will be more information about this, and being unfamiliar with these forums I have no idea if that needed to be said or not, but in case it did, there it is.

Emilyrose, there is no reason for this thread to vanish. It will rotate off of page 1 in time of no postings as sadly new accidents are reported, but you can find it when you want to and post anew. Here are a couple of hints...

1: Copy the URL of both threads, here and the one in NorCal forum, and paste them to an email to yourself, or a Private Message to yourself here on SB, then save the mail or PM - or paste the Urls to a document on your computer.

2: Click your Username on any post to get a drop down menu, then select "Find more posts," then go to page 1 to see the first threads you posted on.

Click pic for larger 1.JPG

We restrict condolences on this Accident forum to avoid emotions distracting from learning opportunities, but I join others in being sorry for your loss. Please feel invited to come back and post just anything you want to on this. Losing a love one is tough at any age I know all too well, but losing your dad as young you are and he was is dreadful. The mourning you and your mom are going thru has to be very challenging, but talking about any of this here will hopefully be helpful.

For the near future, it may be a good idea to accept your mom's feelings against your diving for now, then in time ease back into it in comfortable steps that will be easy for her to try to embrace. Losing you to diving in the same year would be a tremendous tragedy so do try to understand her feelings for now. And when you do dive, be the best example of dive safety & buddy protocols you can be. :wink:
best wishes

Emily ... thank you so much for your courage in posting here and in the other thread
... divers are like family, and it hurts us when something goes wrong and we lose one

I'm glad that you'll be back here on SB , here I've learned much information, and made close friends... It's like family too

Emily, God Bless you and your family; I hope you find peace in God's Grace. Thank you for helping understand what happened; I believe it takes incredible courage.

Oh, I know how to find the thread again later and all that, it was more just that I wasn't sure about the customs here with digging up relatively old threads and all that (and some forums do actually lock old threads after a certain amount of time, but it doesn't sound like this is one of them), and that's something that isn't always appreciated as an alternative to just starting a new thread, and since until we have more information there's not much to say about what might have gone wrong so it seems likely there won't be many new posts here until I have more information to share, it seemed like mentioning that I'd post more information when I had it was probably the best option until I'm more familiar with the social norms here.

I read the info for this forum, and I know it's not the place for condolences and all that... I have plenty of places to have people feel sorry for me (too many really), but not so many places to get a whole bunch of divers to think about whatever information I can get about what happened and try to figure out what might have gone wrong.

And as far as diving again, I don't expect to have a chance to dive until after I finish school in mid December, so it's not like I'm planning to go right out and dive tomorrow or anything -- I'll have plenty of time to try to reassure my mom that I'll be safe.

Last edited:
Thanks Emily Rose for all your contributions here and on the other thread. As you are not only a family member of the deceased, but also a diver, you understand what we are trying to accomplish on this forum and believe me, we appreciate it very much. I just wish we had more family members like you participating on the other threads!

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Trish

Hello there Emily,
I am deeply sorry for your families loss. As I have learned in the past year since losing my little brother in a diving accident it is that the community of divers will be here for you if needed. We tend to not forget and all grieve in instances such as these. Feel free to pm if need be.

Jarred Fedor

Back
Top Bottom