Diving Accident on Monterey Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads on this topic merged.

TC:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads on this topic merged.

I totally get why you'd want to merge the threads, and I'm still new here and learning my way around, so I'm not sure, but aren't a lot of the posts from the NorCal forum thread (specifically, all the condolence-ish ones) sort of off topic in A&I?
Plus the sequence of posts is confusing me now, and I might have to actually be sober to make sense of this thread anymore (which I realize if you haven't read through the threads beyond determining they're about the same incident probably makes me sound like an alcoholic, which I'm not, but there are extenuating circumstances).

She does make a valid point about the condolences (which is why I offered mine in the other thread) and the post sequence

She does make a valid point about the condolences (which is why I offered mine in the other thread) and the post sequence
Yeah, I'd noticed the condolences in the other thread, now combined. I guess someone could click Report on her post to request those posts be move to Passings, but - I hate to bother Moderators needlessly. If there are no disruptions, perhaps we can leave it alone?

I totally get why you'd want to merge the threads, and I'm still new here and learning my way around, so I'm not sure, but aren't a lot of the posts from the NorCal forum thread (specifically, all the condolence-ish ones) sort of off topic in A&I?
Plus the sequence of posts is confusing me now, and I might have to actually be sober to make sense of this thread anymore (which I realize if you haven't read through the threads beyond determining they're about the same incident probably makes me sound like an alcoholic, which I'm not, but there are extenuating circumstances).

Just my opinion, but I think they want you to have as easy time of it as possible. As you are actively in this thread, and with everything you are dealing with, I think they can show you both threads in one. I think this may a time when the no condolences rule just should not apply.
And no, you do not sound anything but incredibly brave and stronger than most I know.

Emily

Sorry for your loss. I have personally suffered loss to accidental death and it takes a long time to deal with it. You are, like I was in my brother's case, looking for anwers. It is important and helps the healing process to understand. We also in this forum want to understand when we can so we can maybe make this sport safer, and even perhaps to remind us of old rules that we may take for granted.

It doesnt have to be that there was any error on your Dad's part. It could also be that he had a fainting spell. Medically we term this as "syncope". In my line of work in neuroimaging and neurology it is more common than you think for middle aged people to have a bout of syncope. It is one of the things that worries me when diving now that I am middle aged. Only protection would be a buddy. Even then it doesnt mean that a buddy could always save someone under these circumstances.

I thank you for your sharing, it is not often that this board is priveleged with such close information. If you learn more undoubtedly the many experts here will help you piece it together. It's probably something your family may want to know before they feel comfortable with you continuing the sport.

I would also have his "gas" checked if you have the access to do so.

thanks again.

Emily Rose my heartfelt condolences to you, your mother and other family members. As for your alcohol use, totally understandable under the extreme stress of the circumstances. Please don't drink and drive I would hate to hear of a tragedy upon a tragedy.

You mention serveral times that you dove with your father. How special is that to be able to share the love of adventure with a parent.

Hearing real information helps us all understand what could have gone wrong and make corrective actions in our own diving. At least that is how I like to use this forum.

God Bless

Thanks for sharing - Hopefully we will be able to learn what happened and use that information to help prevent future incidents. It is rare for us to gain familial insight - and in this case very early - so thanks again and hope things are going OK at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom