Diving advice ? Carnival Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1RUSTYRIG:
Do they not teach proper weighting anymore when people get certified? You should know the amount of weight you used on your cert dives. Use that number as a starting point and work backwards from there.

I wouldn't hold the DM responsible for figuring out YOUR weight issues. That is (or was) taught in basic open water and you should have been able to ballpark it. I always dive new local/equipment/suit a tad bit on the heavy side just to make sure I can maintain neutral bouyancy on my safety stops.

I was certified in Fresh Water, in a Drysuit and 200 gm Thinsulate Underwear, with a Steel 95. Now, tell me how much weight I need in salt water, with an Aluminum 80, taking into account the salinity changes in the water around Grand Cayman.

Having problems figuring it out? Me too. You can take a guess, but the best way to do it is by performing a buoyancy check, which they didn't let her do (it requires a mostly empty tank, and few minutes with someone to hand weights to you).

Terry

As soon as I returned to the cruise ship - I saw ships doc - I have Baro Trauma in right ear, together with vertigo (can't stop the dizzy's) - 2nd stop I made was to the Shore Excursions desk wherein I requested an apology and a refund for the botched dive. . . .

I was denied a refund by Carnival, and was told by the shore excursions desk manager the next day that I was a liar, and these things never happened. . .

I have given Carnival, and Don Fosters the opportunity to resolve this issue, and refund my money, plus give me an apology - to no avail I have received none of the above. Therefore, I am going to the Boards. I'm angry, but scared to dive more than anything. Unfortunately, this whole thing is my word against the Crew of Don Fosters - - - don't think for an instant that they haven't gotten their "story straight" amongst themselves before I ever even got back to the cruise ship.

This is truly unfortunate - But the reason I went to the boards to begin with was to replay in my mind what I could have, should have, or did do, right or wrong.

thanks for your kind words and advice. . . .

deneenthom:
For everyone else - thanks for your good intentions - not sure If I will ever dive again - experience was pretty terrifying - not sure I can get over that for some time. . . Thank you for reading the posts.

Don't let this sour you on diving. SCUBA is actuallly quite wonderful.

You had an awful dive op in new conditions, which unfortulately, seems to be the standard in many places. the next time you want to go diving somewhere warm, ask here first, and we can give you recommendations about great dive operators who will make you feel very comfortable.

Althogh your experience is quite common on cruise ships, it happens with regular dive ops too. Good and bad dive ops are all over the world. For example, Carnival uses Hugh Parkey in Belieze, which is probably one of the most professional, well run operators I've seen.

I've been diving in Florida with Jim Abernethy, who was right on par with Hugh Parkey, and with an operator who will rename nameless, who left me and my buddy hanging on to a dive float for 45 minutes when he didn't show up after a drift dive.

The best thing is to ask here. I've never had a bad experience with a dive op that others here have liked.

Terry

deneenthom:
Dear Fellow Divers - Newly Certified 2 months - Went on Carnival Conquest last week to Grand Cayman, and signed up for the ships tour. . . .I am Open Water Certified on 6-22-05. This was supposed to be my first Ocean Dive - - -

I wasn't sure of the weight I should be at - had a 3 mm wetsuit on - and asked divemaster for help determining weight - I was told 10 lbs. was plenty, after I told her I weighed 175 lbs.

I was told to do a buoyancy check when i got in. . . . All 10 people got in water, I got in last. . . . I tried to do check, and would not sink - therefore, I was given 2 more lbs. of weight for my bcd pocket. I was told that it would be plenty.

We went to the line - and everyone descended but me - - - I was still on top - - -the guy from the boat was screaming at me to exhale for 7 seconds, and let air out of BCD - duh - I did - and stilll would not sink - - - In the mean time - everyone was gone - It was me - alone - dive buddy left me, divemaster left me, I was alone. . . .

Another 2 lbs. were added to bcd, and I finally started to sink - alone - dive buddy gone - divemaster - gone - all 10 people 90+ feet down, on "the wall" at grand cayman.

I started to descend slowly, cleared my ears about 4 times, and could not clear them past 60 feet - - - Still alone - - - I tried to descend further because I was terrified of being without dive buddy or dive master - but couldn't - - - right ear wouldnt' clear - - - I started to get dizzy under water, and ascended a bit - - - still alone - and found the anchor line to the boat - I held the line - couldn't see anyone - (visibility was bad) - and stayed put - I thought dizziness and pain in ears woud subside, but didn't. I ascended to 25 feet on guage, had 2500 lbs. of pressure left in tank, did a 5 minute safety stop, and then went up. I made my way back to the boat, and waited for everyone else to "show up" - when Buddy came up - he asked me "where were you?" - I asked him the same question.

Then - the short tempered divemaster - came up to me, started yelling at me, and told me that this was a "guided dive" and that I should have stayed with him, and not be on my own- he yelled at me in front of 19 other divers - I tried to explain that I couldn't clear my ears, but then he accused me of trying to share a dive computer. . . that I didn't have - - - My buddy had the dive computer - my "buddy" who abandoned me. Needless to say - I started crying - not only of pain from ear, but from embarrassement from divemaster - - - I was bleeding blood from nose.

Went to ships doctor - I have baro trauma in right ear - going to doctor again today -

Lesson learned - - - Know dive buddy - not just trust who you are assigned to - Don't go on Carnival Ship tour again - and Don't go with Don Fosters Diving shop in Grand Cayman.

Please respond with what you think - I think I did the right thing when ears didn't clear. . . . please help -

terrified diver - Dee

I also think you showed pretty good presence of mind, and avoided what could've been a much bigger piece of trouble. Though I'm not the most experienced bulb in the chandelier here, a couple of suggestions:

When in doubt, it's better to err on the side of being a little overweighted than underweighted (within reason), since you want to be able to ascend slowly and hold a safety stop after consuming about 4 pounds of air during the dive. So you need to be at least 4 pounds negative with your lungs about half full on the surface when you start out, or you'll be too light at the end. So if you're having trouble getting below the surface, you're too light. I'm stating the obvious here, the trick is how to know this at the beginning of the dive, and doing a buoyancy check with your rental gear and adding weights may take a couple of minutes.

I started out with a 3mm full suit, weigh 150, used to take 17 pounds, now down to 12-13. It's a trial and error process; make sure you note for each dive in your dive log what you wore and how much weight, and whether you thought you were heavy, light, or just right. I find it's really useful for a future reference, especially if you don't dive all that often. It's also generally true that stress (breathing more?) makes you more buoyant, relaxation makes you more negative. That's part of why most divers gradually use less weight as they get more experience.

I notice you said, "I got in last..". If you're unsure of equipment, weights, etc, you might want to make a practice of being among the first ones suited up and in. Then you have more time to make these adjustments and still be part of the crowd for the descent instead of being the last lonely diver after everyone else has disappeared (and your buddy shouldn't have disappeared anyway).

You did well under trying circumstances, showed caution and restraint, and you're asking the right questions. Diving's a learning process, and the learning never stops. Sometimes it's the "worst" dives you learn the most from. Best of luck and good diving in the future.

but originally you said ........

1RUSTYRIG:
You're right...she was only 4 pounds off. Or off by 40% depending on how you look at it.
not

1RUSTYRIG:
If you start at 10lbs and have to add 4 that is an increase of 40%

So i guess it does depend on how you look at it huh? :p

All kidding aside, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60% off doesn't really matter. There was someone there with experience enough to know how to help her, so its my guess that they chose not to. I blame the outfit not the inexperienced diver. She was upfront with them, but didn't get the help she needed.

Hi Dee, I hope your nerves are settled now. I'm sorry your first experience in the ocean was negative. Get back in the water soon and turn something bad into something great. I also weight heavier on day one until I get my suit saturated, then take off as necessary. Dive, Dive, Dive!!!

Dee, I know you're feeling shaky, angry, upset, disappointed, sad, and just about every other emotion known to mankind right now. However, I'd like to make a strong suggestion for you to let knock around in your head for awhile.

Before you decide to give up diving completely, please consider a trip to the Florida Keys. I know that you can find the perfect operator to dive with by the recommendations on this board (in the Conch divers section), and you can get some nice, warm, easy dives in 30' or less. The reef diving in the keys is extremely easy and beautiful...one of our reef dives last year was a whopping 21' deep!! :wink: Diving somewhere like the Keys will help you gain some confidence in shallow, clear water, with gorgeous scenery and the advantage of having extended bottom times to really relax and enjoy yourself.

If you don't see yourself being able to plan a trip this fall (since you just got back from a big trip), consider planning it for late spring/early summer next year (before hurricane season). Go in May or June when the water is clear and warm, and hook up with an operator that will help you build your confidence and feel comfortable again in the water.

deneenthom:
Dear Fellow Divers - Newly Certified 2 months - Went on Carnival Conquest last week to Grand Cayman, and signed up for the ships tour. . . .I am Open Water Certified on 6-22-05. This was supposed to be my first Ocean Dive - - -

I wasn't sure of the weight I should be at - had a 3 mm wetsuit on - and asked divemaster for help determining weight - I was told 10 lbs. was plenty, after I told her I weighed 175 lbs.

I was told to do a buoyancy check when i got in. . . . All 10 people got in water, I got in last. . . . I tried to do check, and would not sink - therefore, I was given 2 more lbs. of weight for my bcd pocket. I was told that it would be plenty.

We went to the line - and everyone descended but me - - - I was still on top - - -the guy from the boat was screaming at me to exhale for 7 seconds, and let air out of BCD - duh - I did - and stilll would not sink - - - In the mean time - everyone was gone - It was me - alone - dive buddy left me, divemaster left me, I was alone. . . .

Another 2 lbs. were added to bcd, and I finally started to sink - alone - dive buddy gone - divemaster - gone - all 10 people 90+ feet down, on "the wall" at grand cayman.

I started to descend slowly, cleared my ears about 4 times, and could not clear them past 60 feet - - - Still alone - - - I tried to descend further because I was terrified of being without dive buddy or dive master - but couldn't - - - right ear wouldnt' clear - - - I started to get dizzy under water, and ascended a bit - - - still alone - and found the anchor line to the boat - I held the line - couldn't see anyone - (visibility was bad) - and stayed put - I thought dizziness and pain in ears woud subside, but didn't. I ascended to 25 feet on guage, had 2500 lbs. of pressure left in tank, did a 5 minute safety stop, and then went up. I made my way back to the boat, and waited for everyone else to "show up" - when Buddy came up - he asked me "where were you?" - I asked him the same question.

Then - the short tempered divemaster - came up to me, started yelling at me, and told me that this was a "guided dive" and that I should have stayed with him, and not be on my own- he yelled at me in front of 19 other divers - I tried to explain that I couldn't clear my ears, but then he accused me of trying to share a dive computer. . . that I didn't have - - - My buddy had the dive computer - my "buddy" who abandoned me. Needless to say - I started crying - not only of pain from ear, but from embarrassement from divemaster - - - I was bleeding blood from nose.

Went to ships doctor - I have baro trauma in right ear - going to doctor again today -

Lesson learned - - - Know dive buddy - not just trust who you are assigned to - Don't go on Carnival Ship tour again - and Don't go with Don Fosters Diving shop in Grand Cayman.

Please respond with what you think - I think I did the right thing when ears didn't clear. . . . please help -

terrified diver - Dee

Ok I hate to be the ahole of the board, but this girl was going on a 90ft planned dive with a Dive Op after recieving her OW cert just months before????? This is the freaking problem!! They should have never planned to take her that deep. She should never have gone on that type of trip. Is this a PADI operation? Guess the rules are different for the Caymans. Just a lesson to Newbies: If you exceed your training you will get hurt at some time or have a close call. BTW I made my mistakes early being young and dumb...just sending the warning.
Let's count the mistakes that could have lead to a close call.
1. Weight issues, not solved before group descended.
2. 10 divers + DM in water = DM can't keep track of all...if he was your guide you were his responsibility
3.What do we do when we lose our buddy OW kids??? Surface and wait...or abort dive. Which thank god you finally did....but without the ear problems you would have joined the group @90ft!!!
4. Which leads to diving out of limits
5. What BCD, Reg, weight system release, brand gauge/computer and other particulars did you use on the dive. Were you familuar with it all or did you just say, "yeah something to breath out of!!"
List more if you can find them. That's enough. Get back to diving, learn what you are taught and try to realize why the guidelines are there.

I would have to agree with the most recent post.
Dee... You should be diving within your limits. A 90' wall dive with a current is an advanced dive. Don't give up on diving... Perhaps a trip to the keys would be a good open water ocean dive for you... There are great dives in Key Largo with depth below 45 feet. You should begin clearing your ears right away... Many times... If they don't clear you HAVE to go up. What agency certified you and didn't explain that you have to know when to abort the dive?

The next time you go diving... make sure you get in the water first, and tell the DM on the boat that you need help with your weight. Some people's bodies are made up differently, and there's no RULE for how much weight you'll need... As some people here have said... It's easier to cope if you're a little heavier than you need to be. As you get more experienced, you'll get a better idea of how much weight to take with you. Keep all of that info written in your dive log, so you'll remember how much you took.

Dive...Dive...Dive

I did a Beginner's SCUBA Course from Don Foster's Dive Shop in May of 2005. This was in Grand Cayman Island and I was on the Carnival Victory. The instructor did an excellent job giving us a 40 minute talk and then time in their pool. After we felt comfortable in the pool we walked to the bay and decended a ladder. The dive went to 40' and was excellent. This was the best of three beginner's dives that I have done. But, now I am a certified OW PADI diver and just did six dives in the Florida Keys over the weekend.

This coming October and December I have cruises on Princess and Carnival. I plan on diving during the cruises. I am doing my advanced OW certification this September in Florida.

I would NOT dive below 60' without more training!!

Tim

Back
Top Bottom