Diving Air vs Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I ask why you got the cylinders O2 cleaned?

Standard dive equipment is fine for up to 40% without O2 cleaning, unless you are using a filling station that only offers partial pressure blending.

Because the LDS uses partial pressure blending. There are only a few LDS in RI and only one that is local to me.

Nitrox certified. A waste of money. I've got 3 tanks O2 cleaned, a waste of money. I'm an air hog and don't get near my NDL limit. I don't feel any different diving EAN or air. I wish I had the money I spent on the course and the O2 cleaning. I may never dive NITROX again.

AfterDark...you should be aware the the big green Nitrox sticker on your tank makes you look really cool to the OW students

AfterDark...you should be aware the the big green Nitrox sticker on your tank makes you look really cool to the OW students
Panama, please tell me that you are not related to Beano Jones :)

AfterDark, why don't you work on your air consumption, so that you can make all that money spent on Nitrox worthwhile?

Nitrox certified. A waste of money. I've got 3 tanks O2 cleaned, a waste of money. I'm an air hog and don't get near my NDL limit. I don't feel any different diving EAN or air. I wish I had the money I spent on the course and the O2 cleaning. I may never dive NITROX again.

1) You'll primarily see a major NDL benefit when diving repetitively (esp squarish profile) and multi-day.

2) Feeling different isn't really a criteria. You absorb less nitrogen on a given dive parameter, nitrox verus air. All that matters is that you're less likely to ever 'feel' the need to check-in at your local hyperbaric...

3) Air consumption can be improved.

4) There's always sidemount, or for the olde-skool type, who like to invest in stainless steel... back-mount doubles. Ample gas supply just makes a dream match with nitrox.. :D

I wonder if the fact that this thread has made Nitrox sound complicated is going to turn off the OP from pursuing the Nitrox cert? I can't believe anyone these days seriously frets over whether to get a Nitrox cert.

I wonder if the fact that this thread has made Nitrox sound complicated is going to turn off the OP from pursuing the Nitrox cert? I can't believe anyone these days seriously frets over whether to get a Nitrox cert.

I think she got the right idea after the first few posts. Hopefully she won't change her mind from her post #13

I think she got the right idea after the first few posts. Hopefully she won't change her mind from her post #13

Oops--I thought I had been following the thread but must have missed her post #13 where she says they plan to get Nitrox certified.

If you are diving shallow, but long and repetitive dives than the pulmonary toxicity of Nitrox may be a disadvantage and unless you are reasonably close to NDLs you are getting no benefit. Risk > benefit.
Incorrect! Wikipedia: "Pulmonary toxicity result from longer exposure to elevated oxygen levels at normal pressure. Signs of pulmonary toxicity begins with evidence of tracheobronchitis, or inflammation of the upper airways, after an asymptomatic period between 4 and 22 hours at greater than 95% oxygen, with some studies suggesting symptoms usually begin after approximately 14 hours at this level of oxygen."

Pulmonary toxicity is not relevant to SCUBA diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom