Diving and an ACL Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have had that injury and know that prior to surgery your knee is very unstable. why push it? if you wait till after the surgery you will have something to look forward to, and motivate you to continue therapy. i have reinjured myself sevral times and know that i can ruin a day. and the next one, and the next one. ultimatley you make the call. good luck with everything

Thanks to everyone for the great responses and linking to the other thread.

A little about my background. I have a BA in Physical Education with a concentration in Athletic Training. My senior year, I was in charge of a football player who tore his ACL. I picked his surgeon, sat in on his surgery, and provided the physical therapy program to get him back to playing football in 6-9 months. I am very familiar with the actual injury. So familiar and comfortable with the injury process, it was my brother who was freaking out about it and thought we should go to the hospital. I knew that would have been a wasted trip and just made me late for work the next day.

The main thing I have taken from here is that I never considered the weight of the equipment and how awkward it would be to gear up and then walk to the water or walk off of the boat. I never considered it, and to me, that's the hardest part of diving.

I will probably practice kicking with the injury in the pool with fins. But as far as the equipment part, I might try to head down to my local dive shop and just try it.

Thanks again to everyone for the great responses here. I really appreciate it!

Joe

I have had 3 surgeries for a torn ACL. The first two were scopes. I reinjured my ACL during the time I was working on my DM. This resulted in a third surgery replace my ACL. I had to be careful with side to side motion but other than that I was able to continue working towards my DM and then six weeks after my surgery was released to go back to diving. Diving (swimming and snorkeling) actually helped with my rehab.

Pool practice is generally safer than experimenting on a boat dive. Get your dive shop to help you check it out - and always try to buy from them. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom