diving and blood pressure meds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Dad

New
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this question should go elsewhere. I actually found this forum by googling my question - but now I can't find the thread it found (it was a couple years old anyway).

I've been diving for a while (scuba for about 8 years, snorkling since a kid). I recently started a low dose of Lisiniprol (ACE inhibitor) for blood pressure. I'm curious if anyone has any experience diving while using this drug. I haven't found any specific information on whether there is a concern diving while using this, or any blood pressure medicine.

Also, aside from people's experience here, what's the best source to go to for the expert opinion (or is there one)? My physician doesn't have the data. I did find one small article elsewhere (divernet - by Dr. Wilmshurst) who indicated ACE inhibitors were safe. Anyway, I'd like to see if anyone here has experience with blood pressure meds while diving.

ACE inhibitors are generally well-tolerated with few side effects. As long as your blood pressure meds are managing your blood pressure appropriately, there should be no reason that you cannot be cleared medically to dive.

Divers Alert Network published an FAQ on the concerns of blood pressure med usage in divers. Check it out when you get the chance. Feel free to contact DAN for an expert opinion on this topic or for a referral to an internist who is aware of the special needs/concerns of divers.

FWIW, you should make every attempt to stay well-hydrated on diving days. Diuretics will increase urinary excretion, so you'll probably want to carefully monitor your hydration status and electrolyte balance. Some studies have shown an increase incidence in DCS in dehydrated divers.

Hope this info helps.

I am on 10mg of Lisiniprol and have been for several years. I take my meds in the AM, get a light breakfast, drink a bottle of water and hit the water. No problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom