Diving at Manhattan beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robnyc03

Contributor
Reaction score
I was speaking to a friend at work, and he told me he remembers seeing guys diving from Manhattan beach in Bklyn back in the early 90's. I grew up in Canarsie, but I've never heard of diving at Manhattan beach. Does anyone have info on what spots might be a good shore dive? This would sure beat driving from SI to beach 8th every weekend. Thanks - Rob

Hi Rob,

I grew up in Canarsie also and have never heard of anyone diving of Manahattan Beach.
I think that wouldbe pretty cool to see/try

Hi RobNYC03,

I know a little about it. Not sure how much is true and fiction. There was an old hotel that was demolished years ago.....the concrete was dumped into a part of Manhatten beach creating "the Manhatten Beach Reef". I believe it is by Dover St. I too heard tales of this place for a while, but dounted it's existence. From what I hear, since the area is not on the beach, but where the houses are, Divers were frowned upon by residence. I am not sure but there may have been a path thatis not there any more.

Last week a friend took me diving there by boat. It does exist! It is about 20ft deep in the morning. The area is flat and sandy until you come across the reef. While there, we saw a solo diver connected via a Jersy reel to a float. He was spear fishing there and stated he goes there a lot. Not sure where he enters from. But it was pretty cool....easy dive (we did it in the slack tide to avoid a strong current).

Dan Berg lists in his Long Island Beach Dive Book. A reef is located just off shore on a 180 degree course at about 150 yards. There are lobsters, fish to spear and photo ops. There is a current so it is best dove at slack high tide.
Take the Belt Parkway to Coney Island Ave South. Turn left on Neptune Ave, then right on West End Ave. Turn left on Oriental Blvd, then right on Dover St. Dover Street park at the south end.
It's been 20 yrs, so I can't promise parking is still available.
LI has some great beach dives, contact me if you want some info. I live in FL now so my information may be outdated, but Bayville Barge and Miller Ave dock in Freeport were some of my favorites.

I dove the site many times, but always from a boat. I now work about 10 blocks away from the site. As stated in the post above it , it is right off Dover St. PArking is non existant on the street, however during the summer months there is a public parking lot at manhattan beach ( a good distance away). The depth averages 15ft, and the current could be swift to say the least. It is also a very bust boating and jet ski area, and skis are known to buzz the dive flags. I shot my personal best blackfish on that reef area. IT was 13lbs. They are not plentiful, but if you look hard enough you will see them.

I was speaking to a friend at work, and he told me he remembers seeing guys diving from Manhattan beach in Bklyn back in the early 90's. I grew up in Canarsie, but I've never heard of diving at Manhattan beach. Does anyone have info on what spots might be a good shore dive? This would sure beat driving from SI to beach 8th every weekend. Thanks - Rob

I've been diving the reef since 65 it's still nice place to spear a stripper or big black fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom