Diving Calgary ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingmoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I lived in Calgary in the 80's I wasn't diving then but we swam and rafted in the Glenmore res. and the Elbow River down stream it was beutiful and clear just a little cold. Now we dive in Manitoba we know a lot about the cold water and we were thinking the Res might be a dive to look in to for next summer. So anyone have an Opinion. We were also thinking of Waterton Lakes so lets here from some Albertans.

Waterton is best done early in the season. Minnewanka is best done later in the season, although this year Minny pretty much sucked all the way into fall. It was that kind of year. I haven't been there for about 4 weeks so it might have got better but I haven't heard.

Don't know about the reservoir as I haven't ever heard of anybody ever diving there.

Brian is right, Waterton is best in the spring. The visibility in Minnie was mediocre at best for most of the season so far, although you can luck out have some fantastic visibility. We had a couple of days of stunning visibility when you could see the top of the bridge pilings from the surface.

Diving in the Glenmore Reservoir is definitely not an option. The reservoir is only open to sailboating, kayaks and canoes. No swimming etc.

Other places to think about in addition to Waterton and Minnewanka would be Forgetmenot Pond (great at night), the Spray Lakes Canal, and the Bow River. The Zoo Hole along the Bow makes for an "interesting" dive.

Brian is right, Waterton is best in the spring. The visibility in Minnie was mediocre at best for most of the season so far, although you can luck out have some fantastic visibility. We had a couple of days of stunning visibility when you could see the top of the bridge pilings from the surface.

Diving in the Glenmore Reservoir is definitely not an option. The reservoir is only open to sailboating, kayaks and canoes. No swimming etc.

Other places to think about in addition to Waterton and Minnewanka would be Forgetmenot Pond (great at night), the Spray Lakes Canal, and the Bow River. The Zoo Hole along the Bow makes for an "interesting" dive.

The Bow we have swam in the Elbow but the Bow? in the 80's the current was to strong and the vis was ****ty even for fishing is it better now, is the Zoo Hole near the island? what dive shop or club do I check in to.

The Bow is pretty clear except for the spring during run off.
I used to live by Lake Chapparal and a dive shop used to run an evening dive their once a week or so but I have no idea which one, I wasn't diving when I lived by the lake :depressed: now I"m diving and can't get to the lake. Oh well say la vie

The Bow we have swam in the Elbow but the Bow? in the 80's the current was to strong and the vis was ****ty even for fishing is it better now, is the Zoo Hole near the island? what dive shop or club do I check in to.

The "Zoo Hole" is on the south side of George's Island. The Hole is a depression that gets to about 30 feet deep. The river bends around the island and widens out. The current slows down a bit there and there is a back eddy that allows you to get into the Hole. You enter up river in the shallows and drift into the Hole - it takes just a little effort to make sure you get into it. You do need to know what you are doing as the current is quite strong until you hit the eddy. Good size trout and pike.

The Bow is pretty clear except for the spring during run off.
I used to live by Lake Chapparal and a dive shop used to run an evening dive their once a week or so but I have no idea which one, I wasn't diving when I lived by the lake :depressed: now I"m diving and can't get to the lake. Oh well say la vie
Through arrangement with the Lake Association, Chapparal is often used for OW training as well as Rescue classes for those folks that can't or don't want to deal with going out to Banff. Chapparal is also used for IDC and the IE when it's done here in town.

Back
Top Bottom