Diving Deeper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syruss32

Reaction score
Hey all,

You all know I just got my AOW but due to where we dove (almost put dived, but I know joewr would catch that and gramatically correct me hehhe) the depth was only 68 feet so I didn't really get much of a deep dive.

My question is what is really different about diving to say 130 feet or so. I went to 78 on Yacht Opus and the only real difference was that my air went really fast which I expected.

I was supposed to note the feeling of narcosis in my deep dive, part of which is shown by doing the same timed test above water vs at depth. At 68 feet I didn't take much longer to do it, and the timing wasn't valid cause the instructor lost his pencil so I had to write out the math problem in the sand on the bottom (much harder to do math in sand then on slate, but it worked)

So do you feel more pressure, feel lightheaded or anything?

If everything is going fine, you probably won't feel any different. Of course, everyone is different. The problems come in when things start going wrong, and you have to think. That's when you'll feel really narced.

Personally, I haven't had much problem with narcosis, but I've been around people who have. There's a lot of factors involved, and it affects different people differently and can vary day to day.

Take care.

Mike

to the one who is narced. I have a couple of joints that are in constant pain... the pain starts to feel better @ 90fsw and I really feel great by the time I hit 130fsw. No one has ever indicated that I acted loopy, so I don't think I would have even known, except for the deligtful lack of pain

It's all a matter of TIME ...

Obviously, the deeper you dive the shorter your NDL. Once
beyond your NDL you are precluded from a direct ascent to
the surface (unless you want to risk being bent)

Additionally, the deeper you are the greater the narcosis
(even with a known trimix blend you are "narced" to some degree or other ... what is referred to as END ... equivalent
narcosis depth)

So, it is at least a double edged sword: shorter time limits,
greater amount of mental impairment and the increased necessity
of remaining aware and focused. It doesn't take much or
long for an shallow-dive inconvenience to become a deep-dive
death sentence.

Be smart. Be safe.

Originally posted by NetDoc
to the one who is narced. I have a couple of joints that are in constant pain... the pain starts to feel better @ 90fsw and I really feel great by the time I hit 130fsw. No one has ever indicated that I acted loopy, so I don't think I would have even known, except for the deligtful lack of pain

So the pressure in your case actually helps to releive the pain. That is interesting!

with Netdoc.................I find my constant pain in my knees is virtually non-existant in 80 + ft depth...........I thought it was just because I wasn't standing etc.............gut the pain is still there to some degree at 30-60 ft............

the deeper I go. At 100' my motions become more deliberate and I start noticing that it takes more effort to concentrate. For me, the diffrence between 80' and 100' is large. 80' is a normal dive depth for me, 100' is where things start happening. That is simply the result of narcosis. As GM as pointed out, the greater the depth and length of time at that depth, the better the chance for narcosis to affect you. I would recommed any divers first(several) 100' dive(s) to be with a competent instructor. You need someone experienced to watch you and assist if necessary. It's a new ballgame at 100' and beyond.
Dive Safely.:tree:Bob

Difference in depth couses 2 different things-

1-shorte bottom time, due to the shorter NDL and higher air
consumption

2-Increased risk of narcosis. when diving up to 30 meters most people will not feel any kind of narcosis. when diving deeper the narcosis get's stronger, I will give a little description:

0- sea level

18M- This is the shalowest spot I ever noticed any simptom of narcosis in myself. Most people (and myself usualy) do not feel anything here.

24M-at this depth every diver begins to get narced, though most will not fill it, and it will not affect their capabilitys.

30M-at this depth, although many divers will feel nothing, ALL divers are affected by narcosis.

40M-Here almost everyone will feel it, and everyone are affected, more than before (obviousely).

42M- The deepest limit of recreational diving. No ordinary recreational diver should get any deeper, and in my opinion only very experienced DMs or higher level divers should get here in the first place.

50M-Here narcosis is STRONG. EVERYONE feels it, EVERYONE is VERY MUCH affected by the narcosis and skills are greatly reduced. Diving to this depth on air is danegerouse, and unrecomended to anyone but the most experienced divers, that know what kind of risk they are taking on themselves, and are sure they can deall with it and so is thei'r buddy, and should be properly trained in technical diving, as this depth almost certainly will require mandatory decompression stops.

You might be able to think of it like this: if you can feel narcosis on a good dive, then you're way too deep. Narcosis is there even if you don't "feel it" and as soon as you think you can "handle it", Murphy will show up and give you a lesson in Darwinism.

That's my take.

Mike

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to know a bit more from some divers that have been there so if I ever get up to Canada to dive with the Canuck-4 they won't be trying to point out the naked murmaid at 100' feet while the whole time laughing about me swimming upside down and doing the hoola dance at the same time feeling groovy!

Next question. If nitrogen intake is decreased by using Nitrox are the effects diminished considerably? Say if you were using 32% oxygen 68% nitrogen?

How about if you use what I think they call Tri-Mix?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom