Diving Disabled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Baker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just thought I would stop in and say that anyone who has a disability and is considering diving should go for it. I Suffer from back issues and can't do the normal boat entries. I enter the water first and put everything on once I am in the water. Doing it this way eliminates all the weight from the gear and while at first it may seem a bit harder it gets easier every time, just make sure all your straps are loss and getting it on takes only a few seconds. Diving for me is the best exercise I have found. It is actually the only time my diabetes is under control. In fact, I have to take snacks just to get my sugar back up for the second dive. They say diving with diabetes is risky but as long as you have planned your dive well I have found there is actually no problems even at 100 feet, 30 meters. If your diabetic make sure to eat a good breakfast, and bring your snacks and all will be fine. If you have back issues don't let it stop you. Downing the equipment after your in the water is a snap and it weights nothing once your in the water. So, my advice to all the disabled guys and gals out there get certified if your not already and go dive it is the best sensation and therapy I have found.

Ed Baker
Disabled Advanced Open Water Diver

Congratulations Ed. I think it's great that you found a way to enjoy scuba.

I've seen a wheelchair bound fellow on a dive boat in New Zealand get his wheel chair rolled over to the back of the boat where he manuevered himself into the water where his "buddy" helped him get his kit on. He had no use of his legs but once in the water was a fish.

I am still able to get into the water with all my gear on but at age 69 find it much easier to take my kit off in the water and have me or someone else pull it up.

Thanks Bert. It is always good to see and hear about people enjoying their life and putting their disabilities behind them. Great to here about the Guy there. I am sure he enjoys it as much as the rest of us do. There is nothing more exciting than sitting on the boat thinking about what kind of different things am I going to see this time. I don't think I have ever been on a dive here that I didn't find something different even diving the same spots.

I would have to say that taking up diving gave my life new meaning. It's now my favorite activity.

I would have to say that taking up diving gave my life new meaning. It's now my favorite activity.

I know what you mean. My mind is totally at ease when I dive. No stress whatsoever. If I could live there I would..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom