Diving Education Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You teach as an individual. But the scuba industry functions as a collection of groups inter-related groups.

I don't think "the scuba industry" is ultimately responsible for the current level of diver training. Some instructors have bought into teaching in a manner that will maximize their profits; others resist this temptation and place the safety of the student at the top of the list. Industry has certainly been an influence, but diving instruction is done by individuals not a collective. There are of course groups of like minded individuals that have elected to join various certification bodies that share their same values. Each instructor however, elects to teach diving the way they choose.

DCBC,
I'm quoting out of context and reading the thread on YD is a fairer indication of BSAC's new advice.

Key line:

This preferred technique does not involve the use of “Hogarthian rigging” or “primary Take”. BSAC
standards and policy require that these techniques cannot be taught by BSAC instructors to BSAC members or on BSAC courses.

In the past BSAC instructors had some leeway outside formal classes to teach hogarthian air sharing.
In practical terms, BSAC are banning the teaching of the Hogarthian equipment configuration in BSAC courses.

However, my post here is not to bash BSAC or praise the long hose but to show how well meaning people can shoot themselves in the foot. Those reading the entire document and the YD thread might understand my point more clearly.

If you are not a YD member then ignore this thread as it won't make sense to you, but if you are on YD take a look. I found the debate interesting.

Last edited:
I don't think "the scuba industry" is ultimately responsible for the current level of diver training. Some instructors have bought into teaching in a manner that will maximize their profits; others resist this temptation and place the safety of the student at the top of the list. Industry has certainly been an influence, but diving instruction is done by individuals not a collective. There are of course groups of like minded individuals that have elected to join various certification bodies that share their same values. Each instructor however, elects to teach diving the way they choose.

DCBC, you are simply ignoring the real power of economic incentives and opportunities and how those forces impact populations.

By way of example -- there are only PADI dive shops in my area. There is a NAUI shop and a 'non-denominational' dive store but they are each more than an hour drive from me.

PDIC which has been touted as the answer by some here would mean a 10 hour drive

DCBC, you are simply ignoring the real power of economic incentives and opportunities and how those forces impact populations.

By way of example -- there are only PADI dive shops in my area. There is a NAUI shop and a 'non-denominational' dive store but they are each more than an hour drive from me.

PDIC which has been touted as the answer by some here would mean a 10 hour drive

I understand what you are saying. However, I have met hundreds of Instructors that reject the philosophy of some diving certification agencies. If my geographic location was closer to a particular dive shop, that would not mean that I would suddenly think that a particular philosophy suddenly had more merit.

As an Instructor, I have the confidence and ability to teach what I think is required. If I were to teach for a particular shop, I wouldn't change the way I teach. Perhaps the shop would not want me to teach through them, but all that would do is create competition. I wouldn't reject my ethical beliefs for a few silver pieces.

Not having a shop to teach in means, in most cases, an inability to teach. Having students being something of a pre-requisite to the act of teaching.

Having a shop to teach in has nothing to do with being able to teach. Many independents have their own gear. Agreements with clubs, YMCA's, schools, etc for pool time. A shop is not necessary to bring in students. I get mine by word of mouth, my website, and Scubaboard in several cases. I do classroom in my home or the student's. It works very well.

Please guys, everybody has different needs, wants and situations. Very few instructors can or want to be like DCBC, Thal, Walter, Jim etc.

The vast majority of students are currently going to chose one of the 3 or 4 major agency certifications through a dive shop. The economy problems are going to have an impact on that, but not as much as SB makes it sound like because the vast majority of diving and instruction happens in warm water and those warm water locations are not going to lose as many dive shops, because the vast majority of diving and instruction happens in warm water.

Changing the entire scuba industry because the cold water regions are struggling may be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

For example; I like living on Maui a lot, I like diving Maui waters a lot, I prefer to earn my living by instructing and guiding divers, Maui County quit issuing new beach business permits many years ago and you can't even get one by buying an existing business, viable Maui boat operation also involves a permit and to get one you would have to buy an existing business which would be really expensive. My choices are to operate a beach business illegally, teach/guide from a private boat illegally, not be involved in the scuba instruction/guiding industry, move somewhere else OR go to work for one of the existing operators using my PADI OWSI.

For the vast majority of instructors it makes sense to work where the vast majority of customers end up. I am really happy for all you anomalies who post here but when you say the rest of us have all made the wrong choice and we should change our ways, all the vast majority of us hear is blah, blah, blah.

By the way; the vast majority of scuba divers and the vast majority of dive instructors don't even know ScubaBoard exists.

Last edited:
...For the vast majority of instructors it makes sense to work where the vast majority of customers end up. I am really happy for all you anomalies who post here but when you say the rest of us have all made the wrong choice and we should change our ways, all the vast majority of us hear is blah, blah, blah.

If you look at the statistics, I think you will find that the vast majority of instructors (along with the vast majority of OW level certifications) are not from the vacation areas. If you stick to your original position, perhaps the vast majority of the instructors and the vast majority of students should be given more attention to their needs and requirements. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom