Diving Erie, PA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - I'm confused again. Where is the charter leaving from? In an earlier post it was stated the city was Northeast, PA. But Yahoo! maps shows that in the middle of the Northern state line where Lake Erie isn't. Help!?

Northeast, PA is just east of Erie, off of I-90, in the northwest portion of the state.
Paula, did you get the PM? I gave you my cell phone number, give me a call. I am in Erie now.

Scuba_Jenny:
Northeast, PA is just east of Erie, off of I-90, in the northwest portion of the state.
Paula, did you get the PM? I gave you my cell phone number, give me a call. I am in Erie now.

Hi Jenny.

I did get the PM and phone number, have just been busy. Looks like I'll be starting back to work on Monday after several months of leave. Is there a best time frame to call on Thursday?

Paula

wb416:
The D. Richmond is a wreck I find interesting, but this isn't the type of wreck that you jump into on your first deep Lake dive. It's very cold, deep (recreationally), and inverted, with little to see on the exterior. Only way to see anything is to penetrate into the blast hole in the side, but the entanglement hazard inside makes this one for trained advanced wreck/cavers only experienced in penetration.

I'd recommend selecting one that is rightside up with more relief and stuff to look at. An exception might be the John J Boland, an excellent freighter that is inverted but has plenty to see for recreational divers. However, again I only recommend experienced wreck and cold water divers because it a bit deeper than the Richmond.

Ya might want to look for something in the 60-80 ft range for this area. there's plenty and they're pretty cool.

just a thought...
bob

P.S.
I know there are those on the charter that this won't be a challenge for (I'm guessing Diver_Paula is in this category since she's a MI Wreck diver), but just wanted to give a heads up that this might be a bit aggressive using this particular wreck for a mixed group.

cheers!

Bob,

Yes, I have been diving wrecks at the depth and conditions of the Richmond and Boland for several years. & yes, I'm wondering why the Richmond wreck has been chosen for this charter. I personally hate a majority of upside down wrecks. (Especially metal ones of which the Richmond isn't.)

I was looking at some of the wreck books in my collection and was wondering if you could give some insight on another wreck - The Indiana. In the maps it appears to be very close to The Boland and The S.K.Martin so it may be another choice.

From a website... "Indiana - wooden schooner barge sunk off Freeport, PA in 98 ft. water. Her decks and hold are still laden with stone. "

Also, is there a particular wreck close to where our charter is that you would recommend?

Paula

diver_paula:
Bob,

Yes, I have been diving wrecks at the depth and conditions of the Richmond and Boland for several years. & yes, I'm wondering why the Richmond wreck has been chosen for this charter. I personally hate a majority of upside down wrecks. (Especially metal ones of which the Richmond isn't.)

I was looking at some of the wreck books in my collection and was wondering if you could give some insight on another wreck - The Indiana. In the maps it appears to be very close to The Boland and The S.K.Martin so it may be another choice.

From a website... "Indiana - wooden schooner barge sunk off Freeport, PA in 98 ft. water. Her decks and hold are still laden with stone. "

Also, is there a particular wreck close to where our charter is that you would recommend?

Paula

I've not done the Indiana. The only wrecks shallower than the Boland or Richmond that I've done in the past few years was the Passaic and Betty Hedger. But I think they are located closer to Barcelona, NY than Erie, PA.

I suppose I've gotten into a bit of a rut because it seems that most recreational dives that I go on anymore end up on the Richmond or Boland (pics)

So... I supposed I'm not a big help in that regard. ...I have an idea... try the Indiana and tell me how it was..... :D

DMP:
I am looking for that wet suit she wants........so far I have not found the thickness she wants.

DMP,

I think they quit making the 100 mil suits :D

I'm going to assume your going to bring your smelly dry-suit, :)
are you diving singles or doubles?

I'm going dry with doubles.

wb416:
I have an idea... try the Indiana and tell me how it was..... :D

I've done the Indiana twice, and its a very groovy wreck, almost all the rigging is in place, but the last time I was there the viz really sucked.

Lil' Irish Temper:
DMP,

I think they quit making the 100 mil suits :D

I'm going to assume your going to bring your smelly dry-suit, :)
are you diving singles or doubles?

I'm going dry with doubles.

I've done the Indiana twice, and its a very groovy wreck, almost all the rigging is in place, but the last time I was there the viz really sucked.

Now I'm intrigued... may have to make a point of visiting that one... I like wooden wrecks... especially ones with lot's of original equipment.

wb416:
Now I'm intrigued... may have to make a point of visiting that one... I like wooden wrecks... especially ones with lot's of original equipment.

When I say rigging ~ I mean capstan, rigging pins, deadeyes, winch, etc.

Sorry had to clarify, Don't want you drive over here thinking the masts were still up, but they are still there laying beside her. :D

Lil' Irish Temper:
When I say rigging ~ I mean capstan, rigging pins, deadeyes, winch, etc.

Sorry had to clarify, Don't want you drive over here thinking the masts were still up, but they are still there laying beside her. :D

You're right... big difference... thanks for clarifying... seems most wooden wrecks that still have mast up with rope/rigging and such in the Great Lakes are in the 150+ range.

tx, bob

I just called Dave, the captain to clarify what we are diving, cause as of yet nothing is written in stone. :)
Am in Erie now, and dang! What happened to the heatwave???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom