Diving, Fitness, Obesity and Personal Rights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I am the "fat bastard" that makes you nervous on a boat. I'm short, and about 50 lbs overweight. I swim daily, cycle at least weekly, dive 3+ days a week. My BP is low, usually 100/70, cholesterol is fine. Perfectly healthy just fat. According to some people here, even though I have 1k +/- dives, I am unfit and shouldn't be allowed to dive?

Whoever owns the boat. It's their boat and they can say who goes and who doesn't!
I agree again. And you can't get into who may be unfit. That gets into a whole thing on healthcare, drinking, smoking, Canada vs. US and a whole lot of other unanswerable stuff. Just be responsible for yourself and don't sue if you're not. Wow, MAYBE that's easier than said?

@OrangeCountyScuba. It's the blanket statements that get me riled up, I ask for nor need any extra assistance, yet because I don't weigh what society says I should, the twinkie comments start flying. I will freely admit I am overweight, but being harassed while out getting exercise is ridiculous and disheartening, as well as incredibly shallow.

I ask for nor need any extra assistance, yet because I don't weigh what society says I should, the twinkie comments start flying.

Well as long as you don't spill over to my seat on the plane/bus/boat I don't give a flying volk. But that's not how it usually works out.

I think it is worth considering that the captain of the vessel (or dive leader in the event of a shore dive) has the option to refuse anyone they see fit (or should that be as they see unfit) irrespective of any certification.

If a captain views someone as potential trouble (from a rescue point of view or otherwise), it is his decision whether to allow that person to board the vessel never mind dive from it.

The problem with this line of thought is the captain is using his personal judgement to decide your ability to dive, if he is wrong and you dive and have an accident, it could be argued that he is responsible for your death.

If he relies on a card that says you have the training to make the decision to dive, you are responsible for your decision.

Bob

Everybody needs to be recertified every few years... Yeah great idea.. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

@OrangeCountyScuba. It's the blanket statements that get me riled up, I ask for nor need any extra assistance, yet because I don't weigh what society says I should, the twinkie comments start flying. I will freely admit I am overweight, but being harassed while out getting exercise is ridiculous and disheartening, as well as incredibly shallow.
You have a point and I am big enough to admit when I am wrong. The language I used could have been more constructive and/or politically correct. However, I am not going to apologize for the fact that one of the most important covenants in scuba diving is "diving within your personal limits" and that needs to be respected. I cannot think of one person who is going to argue that one. With that in mind, if an instructor, boat captain, or dive master has a person approach them to go diving that is overweight/obese and they know they will not be able to rescue them, dont they have the right to say no? I have actually worked with a few instructors that were petite women or small guys and they would lose the color in their face when a large person would come to go diving. It was not that they were bad instructors but they were worried in the event something happened there would be no way they would be able to rescue them. This fortunately never came to fruition but it is something to keep in mind. You may not ask or need help, but when you are unconscious you would not be asking for help either but you would be asking if you could.

@Bob DBF
Yes the purpose of a c card is to prove you have been trained to a particular level. However, do you really think that in court thats going to hold up on its on? "Well your honor, I checked his/her c card and they said they were experienced. I had no idea the person………….enter whatever here." Its unfortunately not the day and age we live in. Shoot, nowadays if there isn't a disclaimer for everything you can sue.."do not use these pair of skis in assisting with child birth." I cant wait for that one to be in the papers.
Everybody needs to be recertified every few years... Yeah great idea.. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:
I completely understand why you think that is a hair brain idea, but is it really that odd? You have to re cert every year or two for first aid, cpr, 02 provider right? Is that any more important then being up to date as an instructor?

If an overweight person is that much of a ticking time bomb, why make them die of a heart attack shoveling snow or hiking somewhere instead of scuba diving?

Give them the info, let them make a choice, and hold them responsible for their own choices.

Perhaps it's time to seriously rethink the idea that the sport is something that anyone can be involved with safety.

You mean like it was in the "good old days"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom