Diving for pain relief?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just noticed another diver mentioning how body aches slip away underwater.

Diving is the only time my body doesn't hurt, a significant motivation to keep underwater as long as possible.

What variety of pains does diving temporarily relieve? Anecdotally, any long term benefits noticed?

Any issues with the release forms? It's confusing to dive ops when I gear up gingerly while young and fit. I'd rather not have the hassle of medical forms and often mask the pain not to worry anyone.

Feeling older than I am,
Cameron

Last edited:
Just noticed another diver mentioning how body aches slip away underwater.

Diving is the only time my body doesn't hurt, a significant motivation to keep underwater as long as possible.

What variety of pains does diving temporarily relieve? Anecdotally, any long term benefits noticed?

Any issues with the release forms? It's confusing to dive ops when I gear up gingerly while young and fit. I'd rather not have the hassle of medical forms and often mask the pain not to worry anyone.

Feeling older than I am,
Cameron
The release forms are very clear. Say NO so you can dive.

Diving actually causes me pain. I have bone spurs in my neck that pinch nerves which causes pain. On land this is mostly controlled. When I dive I orient my head in abnormal directions that I am not used to. This aggravates my neck thing. By the end of a week of diving my neck muscles become rigid with lots of pain.

A few chiro session later I am good. But the flight home is generally not very happy for me.

It stops my backache, and it put my mind somewhere else, I just focus on the dive not on the problems from the surface, I use it as a stress reliever, and it works great.

Over the winter, my neck had gotten stiff and painful. I had been using a lot if Blu Emu spray, which helped alot. Since we've started diving again, my neck does not hurt as much and is much less stiff. I've hardly used the Blu Emu at all the past couple of weeks. It doesn't bother me at all while I'm diving.

Strange that this thread had just been started because I had just mentioned to my wife this week how it seemed diving again had helped reduce the discomfort.

The release forms are very clear. Say NO so you can dive.

Diving actually causes me pain. I have bone spurs in my neck that pinch nerves which causes pain. On land this is mostly controlled. When I dive I orient my head in abnormal directions that I am not used to. This aggravates my neck thing. By the end of a week of diving my neck muscles become rigid with lots of pain.

A few chiro session later I am good. But the flight home is generally not very happy for me.
In another thread, people were complaining about the Buddha Hover, but your post reminds why I enjoy it. I am passively "sitting" still, waiting to see what swims by while not having to bend my neck back.

Hmmm... you might have been referring to me :)

Either way, I have back pain pretty much all the time, except when I'm in the water. There are not many things that it actually stops me from doing, but I certainly give some thought to just how I'm going to accomplish tasks rather than just jumping into it. Specifically, according to my MRI I have two herniated discs, arthritis, spinal stenosis, I forget what they call the pinched nerve, and degeneration of five vertebrae, some worse than others. I have no problem whatsoever standing up with a scuba tank, walking to the stern and jumping into the water. Bending over causes the most pain, especially if sustained. I also have no problem climbing up the boat ladder with all my gear, other than my fins. When I'm swimming laps or diving, there is no noticeable pain.

If I'm not careful and I aggravate a disc I'll be experiencing increased pain and limited mobility for several days. So I'm always careful about picking up heavy stuff and making sudden twisting movements.

That's enough whining for now. This is the Grumpy Old Divers forum, right? Now I gotta go chase the kids off my lawn!

I have heard some Liveaboards handle gear for people, but would they go so far as to let you suit up in the water? That would be a great way not to get injured, but the details would need to be worked out.

I have heard some Liveaboards handle gear for people, but would they go so far as to let you suit up in the water? That would be a great way not to get injured, but the details would need to be worked out.

I dove with an op at Playa del Carmen and they required everyone to remove their tanks and weights in the water. I thought it was a PITA and would much rather just climb up the ladder, but for others I can see how it could be a doable option.

I'm fairly young as well, but have back problems & diving does seem to help.

I understand not wanting to deal with the hassle of forms or the need for a discussion, but I personally prefer to be up front. I email the forms ahead of time to the dive op along with my medical clearance & let them know that where possible, I'd prefer their assistance getting in & out. So when I get there, there's no need for discussion, just a reminder. And this translates into easier diving for me with gear being handed down/up & people treating me kindly.

(Providing the paperwork also could make everything smoother for me, my family, the dive shop, the rescue teams & the insurance companies if I ever run into a problem.)

Once you've done it a few times, it's becomes very easy. I've only had a few dive shops even question this over the years & even then, it was just a quick email discussion. I've never had a problem once I get there & I do a lot of dive travel.

Back
Top Bottom