Diving for pain relief?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard some Liveaboards handle gear for people, but would they go so far as to let you suit up in the water? That would be a great way not to get injured, but the details would need to be worked out.
Some people dive sidemount for that reason - easy to clip on the tanks while in the water. And many boats (but not all) will accommodate this.

Diving is the last thing I got left.. And it works so well at relief of pain and makes my feel "alive" again.. And the use of Nitrox also adds to the relief.. I found out this in Bonaire the first trip down.. After a few days of "soaking" my body in the higher O2 mix, I started to feel better.. I went back on "air" and lost that relief..

I went so far as installing a 20' deep dive tank at the house to breath pure O2.. it's a wet Hyperbaric chamber..

Jim...

A friend of mine who is italien and how should i say... is kinda short-tempered by nature :rolleyes: has some issues with one foot resulting from working as a waiter for years. Everytime we go diving together i can observe a calmness and inner freedom never seen in him while he is on dry land. He also states having no pain at all while beeing submerged! So there has to be something to it not only in terms of pain relief, but also as most of us feel, relating to relaxation :)

Missing a disc. Some arthritis. Two bad shoulders. All is good underwater. No problem walking to back of boat or quarry. Just stay vertical. Climbing boat ladder has shoulders in the lower position which is good. Cannot lift above my head without pain in both but no problems going up a ladder.

At this point I figure I have brought my dermatologist two mercedes. I get to boat early so that I can be up under the shade. It can be a cold or very wet ride toward the stern especially in NC. I also prefer larger boats. More room, more shade, and more stable. I don't do drugs for sea sickness but have noticed as I get older that I appreciate a larger boat more for more stability.

Diving is painless and relaxing tor me but humping tanks and gear to the entry point or boat and back after words does not do wonders for my old back. It tends to complain mightily the next morning for a while. I will keep diving as long as my body allows it because I love it. I am already starting to be picky about the dive sites I will use. Sites where you have to gear up and walk long distances or over rough terrain or steep grades are becoming a deal breaker.

Diving can be a huge pain relief for people. There are a number of organizations that use scuba diving with disabled or differently abled people where one of the main benefits from the dive is the pain relief they get. this relief can last anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks depending on the individual. it is a truly amazing experience to have.

Underwater we are weightless kinda. That takes all the pressure off of our herniated disks and degenerative bone issues. This combines the immediate relief of discomfort with giving your body 45is minutes to relax and recover. The benefits of hyperbaric oxygen are questionable but can't be discounted. Or perhaps it's all just placebo effect either way I'm not going to stop diving anytime soon
:scubadiver:

Introduced a guy needing 42lbs lead (7mm wetsuit) to get neutral to diving these past two weeks. He loves it to be weightless and move freely again.

I'm glad to hear your stories, gives me hope for decades more diving.

Love the wet hyperbaric chamber idea!

Back
Top Bottom