Diving Green Bridge, 8/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info and history. Very interesting. Were these dumped on purpose or randomly lost? I read a story not long ago that the Swiss at one time (maybe '50s or '60s) dumped old ammunition in a couple of its beautiful alpine lakes. Some of the old pictures show barges full of crates of ammo and grenades with soldiers simply tossing them over the side. They now pose a hazard, environmental or explosion or both, and they are debating how to clean up.

Thanks for the info and history. Very interesting. Were these dumped on purpose or randomly lost? I read a story not long ago that the Swiss at one time (maybe '50s or '60s) dumped old ammunition in a couple of its beautiful alpine lakes. Some of the old pictures show barges full of crates of ammo and grenades with soldiers simply tossing them over the side. They now pose a hazard, environmental or explosion or both, and they are debating how to clean up.

You're welcome.
Lost due to a storm that swept away anything that wasn't secured at the gunnery stations. If the story is true they didn't know about it or it was much bigger than was expected. It was 1940something so weather forecasting was what it was. A friend of mine found a pistol belt, holster, a 1911 45 ACP with a full mag in it, empty chamber and 2 more loaded mags in a pouch on the belt back in the 1970's. Last I talked to him he was still shooting it. There wasn't enough munitions to pose an environmental hazard. AAA helmets have been found as well as 20MM rounds live and empty cases.

I have found a few 20 mm casings on the King’s Beach side of Prices Neck. I have never been around the point, so I am not sure what is out there. A lot of the stuff is going to have been swallowed up by the sand and will only occasionally be uncovered by storm, like this case of ammo.

I have found a few 20 mm casings on the King’s Beach side of Prices Neck. I have never been around the point, so I am not sure what is out there. A lot of the stuff is going to have been swallowed up by the sand and will only occasionally be uncovered by storm, like this case of ammo.
That has been the case for a long time. It's one of the reasons I keep going back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom