Diving Hawai'i - wetsuit choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdr_adam

New
Reaction score
I'm diving in Hawaii in two short weeks. (Woo hoo!) I'm wondering what people recommend for exposure suits -- the dive op I called said that most people use 3mm full suits, but that others use 3mm shorties or nothing. Expected bottom temp is 80F. I own a 4/3 full and a 3mm shorty. (I don't think I tend to get cold easily -- my last dives were in a 6.5 farmer john in ~49F water here in Monterey.) Anyway, I'd like to only bring one suit. So... any suggestions?

Id vote for the 4/3. Mostly for coral protection but winter is setting in. I dive a 3/2 full and am looking at a 5/3 full as I have been getting a little cold, not bad but a little.

I dove in Maui in August in a 3 mil wet suit and I was completely comfortable, but I am someone who usually gets cold pretty fast. Water temp then was about 81 degrees.

Dove Big Island and Oahu this past August in a 1mm Full with a 2mm hooded vest underneath; in December/January I put a 3/2 Shorty on top of all that . . .go with your 4/3 Full.

I just got back from snorkeling with a couple of kids. I wore my 1/2 mil suit and got cold, they both wore 5 mil suits with hoods and it was the first time neither complained about getting cold... normally I wear a 3 mil full suit when diving and frequently consider a 5 :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Loving the full 3ml Hyperstretch (people say is less warm than traditional neoprene) I got after dive 2 here. Got cold in a 3ml shorty neoprene and it goes under the Hyperstretch by dive 3 or 4. I’m not a ‘cold’ person but I’m acclimatized, sure not used to No Cal temps. I like the full for protection, the lava and coral is nasty if you hit it, better safe than sorry for me.
Being a cold water traveler; maybe bring the shorty and rent if not enough?

I live on Oahu and dive daily. Board shorts and a rash guard is all I wear out here. I dove So. Ca. before and was not cold with a 7 mm. As an instructor, I see plenty of divers and most of them are happy in either a full or shorty 3/2
Good luck and if you dive on Oahu, look up ScubaDrew VideoWorks.
Mahalo,
Drew

I'd say it depends on how much diving you're going to do. If you're going to do a lot of repetitive diving, go for the thicker suit so you stay warm as your core temperature goes down. Otherwise, if you have a preference for the shorty and are cold tolerant, take the shorty. We saw people in everything from just a bathinsuit to a 7mm full suit in August.

Last year in Maui we dove 2 tanks about every other day and I was fine in a 3mm shorty in 74 degree water. This year we dove 2 tanks everyday in 79 degree water for 8 days, and by days 7 and 8 I was getting cold in my 3mm full suit on the second dives. I've since bought a 5mm full suit for the repetitive diving we're going to do in Belize in December, and when we head back to Maui in April to dive for 4 straight days. :D

DiveMe is correct. We spent on average over 4 hours a day below the surface and the 3 mil was too thin. My wife switched to a 5 mil.

I agree with the thicker suit as well. Our last trip there we did 22 dives over 8 days and I was getting cold with a 3mm full towards the end of the trip. Like others have said, a lot of it will depend on how much diving you'll be doing. I'll definitely bring a 5mm with me next time.

Back
Top Bottom