Diving Hawai'i - wetsuit choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a two-tank dive off Oahu's west side this morning. I brought both my 2mm shorty and 3mm full suit and at the last minute decided to go with the shorty. No problems. I forgot to check the water temperature but it had to be close to 80 degrees at the surface.

Everyone else on the boat, about 12 of us in all, dove with 3mm full suits, some with hoods and some without. One of them mentioned he wished he brought his shorty. Other than that guy, no one complained about being too warm or too cold.

For what it is worth. Just returned from Oahu and Maui. Did shallow dives on Maui and wore bathing suit and rash guard only (about 80deg. F) and some deep dives on Oahu (76 Deg. F. minimum temp) wearing 0.5mm full suit. Comfortable on both dives. I am about 20lbs. overweight (i.e. insulated!).

I am beginning to think that a tight fit is more important than wet suit thickness. The thin 1.0 mm or 0.5 mm suits really fit (and stretch) like a second skin allowing virtually no water exchange with movement. Maybe this is more important?

Back
Top Bottom