Diving in Fremantle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I talked to someone today who spent some time in Melbourne and clarified that there isn't much local diving. So I'll head to Perth a day early and try and catch a Sunday boat dive.

Would someone please recommend a dive shop/boat in Fremantle that provides good service and has decent quality equipment to hire? What's the water temperature around Freo these days? Where is a recommended destination for diving?

Anyone planning to dive on Sunday, February 13? If you're looking for a buddy, send me a PM.

Ummm...who what? Did? :wink:

Usually divers in Freo head out to Rottnest Island or Garden Island for diving. There are several operators who do this.

You can also head down to Rockingham or up to Hillary's for more charter options.

If you want to do some shore dives I believe you can go off the heads in Freo or up the river a bit - Coombs, Baths etc.

Hmmm, bizzare, your post didn't come through all the way at first.

1st, I believe there is actually excellent diving in Melbourne, so don't write that off totally. Ask some of the dive shops there.

2nd, on Sunday most operators will offer a Rottnest Island trip from Perth. Perth Diving Academy springs to mind as they have a shop in Freo.

alcina:
Hmmm, bizzare, your post didn't come through all the way at first.

1st, I believe there is actually excellent diving in Melbourne, so don't write that off totally. Ask some of the dive shops there.

2nd, on Sunday most operators will offer a Rottnest Island trip from Perth. Perth Diving Academy springs to mind as they have a shop in Freo.
When I was typing in the post, I accidently submitted it before I was finished. I quickly opened up the editor and finished typing. You must have seen it while I was editing it.

When I go to Melbourne, I'll check into the diving situation so I can find out first-hand. I didn't get any indication in my previous post that there is good local diving in Melbourne so I'll take the safe route and plan for Freo this time around. The guy I talked to yesterday said he went on day-trips around Melbourne, which I won't have time for (nor will I have a car).

Do you recommend Rottnest Island? I've heard about various charters that go there. I'll be staying at the Esplanade in Freo, but I can taxi into Perth if that's where the charters go from.

I also heard there is a fantastic shore dive in Perth at an old wharf. I guess the only problem I'd have with a shore dive is where to leave my personal belongings while I'm diving since I don't have a car.

I'm pretty sure that Perth Diving Academy have a store in Freo itself. Do a web search for their details.

There's lots of good shore dving off Perth, but it's pretty spread out and you definitely need a car & a local buddy.

Rottnest is great diving - we always have a good time. Very different to the Ningaloo Reef.

alcina:
I'm pretty sure that Perth Diving Academy have a store in Freo itself. Do a web search for their details.

There's lots of good shore dving off Perth, but it's pretty spread out and you definitely need a car & a local buddy.

Rottnest is great diving - we always have a good time. Very different to the Ningaloo Reef.
Excellent. Thanks for the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom