diving in long island sound, atlantic ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRAZYBOBC

Reaction score
new to diving getting certified in aruba
to dive in long island 60ft what type of wetsuit would i need?
i.e. thickness, type, hood, gloves
is one piece better than 2 piece i was told i would need at least 7mm is that correct would mainly dive in the summer and cant afford dry suit

Minimum may be a 7mm F/J w/7mm hood and 3mm gloves and 5-7mm booties for the summer 72 F water. If you can find a good fitting 7mm One-piece semi-dry or good quality full suit, you may like that better. Once you pile on the neoprene, comfort can be an important factor in a dive. Too tight you feel constricted and miserable, too loose you get the flushing down the back . I recommend a Bare wetsuit as they are contoured to the body if you have a normal shaped body and are not very overweight and out of proportion.

BobC- Welcome to the sport! Check down in the Wreck Valley section, and you'll meet a lot of local Long Island and tri state area divers....

After eight years of diving off of LI, I've found the best configuration to be a 7mil one piece fullsuit. As Scubasaurus stated, you'll be better off buying a one piece over a farmer john. The newer, high quality suits are actually warmer than a two piece, more streamlined and will allow you to carry less lead. I'm not sure why they're still selling two piece wetsuits these days. :wink:

I recently swithced from a standard neoprene to the Hyperstretch, and absolutely love it. If you hop a train to the city (so you can try everything on) you could pick up a HS 7/5 mil suit, a HS 5/3 hood and some gloves for about $300 at Leisure Pro. You only need the thicker gloves at the beginning and end of the season. Pick up a pair of cheap reef gloves for the summer. They're much more comfortable.

If you're on a tight budget, I just recently upgraded a lot of my gear, and still have the old stuff. PM me if you're interested and let me know what you're looking for.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom