diving in Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wewallac

Reaction score
Could anyone offer some first hand suggestions on places to dive on peninsular Malaysia? I'm going on vacation there and if anyone has some experiences to share that would be great! Also, if you have any recommendations on dive operators feel free. Thanks!

There's a newbie on the boards from malasia who goes by the name of Chongming. Try looking up her profile.Maybe she can help.Chow from the Gasman

Hello there!
This is ChongMing from Malaysia. I'll be glad to help you.
Alright, there are three main areas for you to dive in Malaysia:
1) east coast (south china sea)will be Perhentian, Redang (a marine park there) and Tioman. The waters are clean, blue and warm. For some reasons it is very very salty!!!compared to the west coast. Lots of corals and you definately have to check out Redang's Marine Park.

2)west coast (straights of Malacca) offers only one. It is Pulau Payar (off Langkawi) somewhere to the north of Malaysia. There are many fishes there, and there are even black tip reef sharks. The baby sharks will greet visitors at the shoreline (no kidding) and you can hand feed these minors with fish. Here is the website for the agency: http://www.langkawicoral.com/ .

3)Sipadan (east malaysia) some say it's the ultimate destination. But due to the kidnapping cases, nobody dares to go there anymore. (screw those bastards!).

There I hope I have been able to help you.

Enjoy your stay in Malaysia.

Originally posted by chongming
Hello there!
Alright, there are three main areas for you to dive in Malaysia:
1) east coast (south china sea)will be Perhentian, Redang (a marine park there) and Tioman. The waters are clean, blue and warm. For some reasons it is very very salty!!!compared to the west coast. Lots of corals and you definately have to check out Redang's Marine Park.

hi guys, just came back from some wonderful 4 weeks in malaysia, most of the time spent underwater ;-)

well, i wouldn't recommend redang, since it's quite a busy party place, rather expensive and usually overbooked, especially in malaysian holiday season.

what i *can* recommend, is perhentian & tioman: great corals, great marine life (anything you can think about), and very nice ppl.

here are my 2 favourite dive-centers in malaysia:

1. perhentian:

pro diver's world (padi)
michal m. k. lim
h/p: ++6-019-3633695
email: pdiver@time.net.my
try his handphone, since i don't know how often mike checks his email
visa/mastercard accepted

2. tioman

scuba point (padi)
julian hyde
kamung tekek
tioman
phone: +60-9-4191228
email: tiomanmalaysia@hotmail.com
web: http://www.tioman.50megs.com
no cc's, bring cash!!

both are very nice ppl, very nice employees, they know every fish around, reasonable prices

in case you meet them, just sent my regards to them!

envious.... ;-)

gregor

Back
Top Bottom