Diving in normandy france

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone here dove the vicinity of Normandy France? I am going in 9 days and have had trouble locating a dive shop. And I need suggestions. Very experienced divers on the trip so poor viz and cold are not big issues

No idea about diving but i spent a few days in that general area. One day at the shore at St. Malo nearby in Brittany I watched the tide come in. There are massive tides and currents in parts of that area. 13m over a 6 hour period.

Last edited:
There are plenty of dive operations in the area. You will find a few that speak good English and maybe one or two that respond to email. If you phone (and speak some French) you will have no problem finding lots.

The French system requires that you have a valid medical certificate signed by a doctor that is less than a year old. I would recommend getting one before you travel (the PADI form is OK if countersigned by a doctor) to save time and hassle when you get there. You also need third party insurance (DAN card works just fine) although you can buy that from the dive centre.

Search Google (other search engines are available :D) for "centre de plongee" near your target area. (The map function is handy)

Arromanches is a good base and the post above gives you a centre there.

You will be asked what "level" you are. This is a request for your certification. The French system is FFESSM and recognises CMAS as an equivalent. PADI AOW and upwards is CMAS 2 star or "level 2". This requires a guide for more than 20m depth. It's no good arguing you have 1,000 35m logged dives - this is the system and this is what the centre's insurance requires.

Do not take anything off the wrecks - it is a criminal offence and will be thrown back very quickly by the skipper. Almost certainly if the skipper notices you will not be allowed to dive again.

The diving is very good and worth the effort. Americans are generally well liked in the area (for the obvious reason). Take a minute or two to visit some of the war memorials. They are humbling and a very great testament to the bravery and sacrifice of the Allied troops.

The weather here is not so good at the minute - very windy. I really hope it clears up for you. The wind is swinging to the East by the 17th. You should find diving on the west side of the Cherbourg peninsula. The vis is probably not going to be great (sorry). I think I would start by looking at St Malo based on the prospective weather. Try these guys: Plongée sur épave (wreck page). The bay is sheltered and going to give you the best shot at something decent.

Hope you have a great trip. Don't drink too much Calvados!

Not much to add. Chrisch told you everything. One thing to consider though : are you used to cold water diving ? A dry suit or at least a heavy wet suit is required I'd say.

I have not dove there - but it's a really interesting place to visit while on vacation.
We stayed in Bayeux and did day trips out.

I had no idea one could dive among the underwater artifacts. I presumed (wrongly?) it was some kind of designated underwater historic site off limits to divers without research permits and such. Not that I would have attempted to dive there, even with drysuit, etc., as the sea looked rough. Between the historical sites, the seafood, and the Calvados, I could have spent many more days in Normandy than I did.

Timely post, though. Thanks.

And don't forget the excellent local food ! :D

You will be asked what "level" you are. This is a request for your certification. The French system is FFESSM and recognises CMAS as an equivalent. PADI AOW and upwards is CMAS 2 star or "level 2".
Sorry, but that's wrong. OWD and AOWD are both FFESSM Level 1 or CMAS *. Rescue Diver is Level 2 / ** and DM is Level 3 / ***. The FFESSM also knows a Level 4 that doesn't really exist in other CMAS Branches and has no PADI Equivalent as well. As a DM/*** you can "apply" for that afaik.
Also, theres two kinds of Level 1 with FFESSM, supervised and unsupervised.

Long story short, the French System is a bit weird. But unlike most other countries they have to stick to it by law.

Sorry, but that's wrong. OWD and AOWD are both FFESSM Level 1 or CMAS *. Rescue Diver is Level 2 / ** and DM is Level 3 / ***. The FFESSM also knows a Level 4 that doesn't really exist in other CMAS Branches and has no PADI Equivalent as well. As a DM/*** you can "apply" for that afaik.
Also, theres two kinds of Level 1 with FFESSM, supervised and unsupervised.

Long story short, the French System is a bit weird. But unlike most other countries they have to stick to it by law.

I thought AOW was two but having checked you are right and it is only one, sorry. However you are wrong that Divemaster is three star. There are no PADI ratings that are three star at all. In order to get to that level you must hold recognised decompression certification. Definitely Rescue is two star that is the level at which one can begin the training for N3 rating.

PADI DM is of no consequence outside the PADI system.

Equivalent Diving Qualifications: BSAC, PADI, CMAS, NAUI, etc - SCUBA Travel

Back
Top Bottom