Diving in south Thailand expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to comment I dove with Big Blue diving and got a terrific deal... 500 baht for a very comfortable private a/c suite as long as I dove that day and 900 baht/dive including ALL equipment :) Phenomenal, I am pleased! Infact, they offer FREE dorm accomodation if you dive there which I think is a ridiculously good deal..I have never heard of such a deal before. Staff at Big Blue were super, had a great time!

Yes, I have found some great deals in Phuket as well; but it takes a bit of bargaining, as the prices seem to have been "socialized" and are not really based on supply and demand, since PADI encourages dives shops to keep their prices "up".

However, my experience is that dive operators don't seem to mind to give great deals as long as they don't have to advertise it on their web site or read about it on the net somewhere :D Basically, supply and demand rules, and if you have a price you are willing to pay for a day's diving, or many days diving, there is nothing wrong with making a reasonable offer; and the dive center can either say "yes" or "no" (hopefully with a smile).

Hint: I find the best way to get more reasonable pricing is to always deal directly with companies than own their own boats, and avoid the "middleman"... but that is just me; as I generally don't have luck with agents who don't run and own their own boat.

Hi K374

where were you diving with Big Blue? I did a LA with them in February, great group and very safe. I would be interested in doing more shore based diving.

Cheers,

@Terry, I dove the local sites around Koh Tao including Chumpon Pinnacle. I did find the diving MUCH better in the Andaman Sea, especially the Similan islands were exceptional.

on another OFFTOPIC note I just crossed over into Malaysia so I'm in Penang now, 20 ringitts ($6.60) for a pint of beer in the local bar and supposedly this is during "happy hour"...WTF?, maybe I should just head back to Thailand! LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom