Diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orca

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Going to stuck in Bangkok for 4 days, any suggestion where I can dive? Pattaya? Phuket? Krabi? Koh Samui?

Problem is I need to get my butt back in Bangkok by the 4th day... so if have to fly, dive days cut down to only 2 days at max

Suggestion please

Orca,
I live in Pattaya and work in a dive shop there. We are located about 2 hours south of Bangkok . There are daily buses running back and forth or you can get your own taxi for a fairly cheap price. We have trips going out daily to the islands outside of Pattaya. We do have wreck trips also for those who qualify. We have nitrox, rebreathers and dpv's for rent. As far as courses we offer all the PADI courses and we teach all levels of technical courses through trimix. If you do decide to come to Pattaya drop be a personnel message and I can make all the arrangements for you. We did just get a new dive boat which is real nice.

Bruce

Diving in Thailand....

The best diving is certainly the Similan Islands best seen on a liveaboard cruise, but this needs at least 3-4 free days. Day trips start up from Phuket in November.

For local diving, best trip I know is a Phi Phi islands overnight tour run from Phuket with 7 dives in 2 days, including wreck, wall and night dives. Many leopard sharks around Phi Phi, and you get a nights accommodation on the islands too. If you have only a few days this is a perfect choice - it runs every week from Friday - Saturday. If your dates don't fit, then a couple of Phuket day trips will do just as well.

Plenty of flights from Bangkok to Phuket. On your free non diving day, you could maybe take a kayak tour in Phang Nga bay and see some great scenery. Phuket has many options for day trips.

Hope you enjoy yourself wherever you are!

Diving in Phuket

I think diving is best in Phuket, but since your time is limited, if I were you I would go to Pataya, no travel time and no dive limitations because of flying.

regards,
Steven

Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

I do have to agree that Phuket is real nice, been there twice last year :wink:

But I doubt I can make it there this time, time is just simply too short, and after taking into account the no-fly time, I might just ended with with 2 days of diving, was kinda hoping to do a LOB to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang though :)

Chances are I'll be heading to Pattaya, now I just have to figure out which dive shop (no offence andibk - Bruce :D ) and how to ship my diving gears there :(

For the last 2 or 3 months, Pattaya has become the rage for macro photographers. It is muck diving and you need a very sharp eye sight or a very good dive leader, who can point things out for you. I have been diving there several times, but only on the last two trips that I started to notice all the macro creatures. We have found crocodile fish which most of us alway thought we can only see in Sipadan or any othr place except Thailand. There there are nudi and flat worms. It is worth going. But don't expect big fish or beautiful soft coral.
You don't have to book your trips at Pattaya, you can aslo do that in Bangkok. Many dive shops in Bangkok runs trip to Pattaya every weekends.

Hi orca,

Don't worry about your dive gears. Most of the dive shops have all gears for rent.

Look who's waiting to greet you in Pattaya!

fd350e60.jpg

Juvenile Moray eel,

fd360614.jpg

a colourful Nudibranch,

fd36061e.jpg

and tiny fish in a bottle.

Oh yes! This little one in a can too :)
fd33ce8a.jpg

Have fun diving!

Juv once bubbled...
Hi orca,

Don't worry about your dive gears. Most of the dive shops have all gears for rent.

Wow... cute nudibranch... I like :wink:

As for the gears, will have to make do with the rental equipment :(, you don't suppose they rent out backplate + wing there do you :D

Orca,
We have stainless steel back plates, aluminum back plates, double 100 lb bladder wings. Deco regs 02 cleaned primary regs. We also have what ever recreational gear you would want.

Bruce

There are quiet a few Pattaya pictures (underwater that is) at www.pjscuba.com which will give you a general idea of what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom