Diving in the Persian / Arabian Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbuK

Registered
Reaction score
I have a potential job offer in Abu Dhabi though am somewhat concerned about leaving the joys of the Red Sea to pursue diving in what must qualify as one of the most polluted areas of water in the world, save possibly for the Black Sea.

What is the diving like in the Gulf? Obviously there is little in the way of coral, but what are the best sites over there? Is it mainly big game diving? Any good wrecks? Anything deep? I hear Masandam is quite good.

Any and all responses gratefully received!

Hi, i dive in the uae. its great diving in mussandam is really cool there is a lot of coral reefs and big fish too look at. Dubai (the westcoast) has alot of wrecks as deep as 30-40m.
There are many great sites in mussandam, Like Lima rock. The eastcoast (Fujeirah) has great diving with excellent visibility. There are many species of marine life ranging from the sharks (reef tip) to morays, stingrays). Diving in the gulf is great and average temp in the water is 22'c.

regards
farid

Thanks Farid,

How far is it to go from Dubai / Abu Dhabi to Mussandam? Have to say I'm surprised that there are any reefs in the area as I thought it got too hot for coral, furthermore that petrochemical pollution was killing off what little there was - refreshing to hear.

So do you get any larger sharks, or mantas?

Sounds cold compared to the Red Sea.

You should come and check out Saudi, I'm off to see the hammerheads in yenbu this weekend, normally also get to see grey and silver tip sharks as well as silkies.

Thanks again and if anyone else can recommend more sites please do!

AbuK:
I have a potential job offer in Abu Dhabi though am somewhat concerned about leaving the joys of the Red Sea to pursue diving in what must qualify as one of the most polluted areas of water in the world, save possibly for the Black Sea.

What is the diving like in the Gulf? Obviously there is little in the way of coral, but what are the best sites over there? Is it mainly big game diving? Any good wrecks? Anything deep? I hear Masandam is quite good.

I've been working in the UAE for the last six months and just finished 2 weeks in Sharm on the Red Sea. So how do they compare? Well, it's by far warmer in the Gulf. The vis is much less though, usually 5 to 10m. The reefs around Fujairah are great, lots of color and tons of life. In fact the life is very concentrated and filled with variety. I've had more shark encounters here but fewer rays. It's not the Red Sea but it's still good. I think you'll enjoy.

Crikey you BC guys get everywhere!

Thanks for the comments, must say that I am very pleasantly surprised at the positivity so far expressed concerning the Gulf.

I thought there was nothing there but it sounds as thhough there is yet hope!

A very sober Cheers for now!

AbuK:
Thanks Farid,

How far is it to go from Dubai / Abu Dhabi to Mussandam? Have to say I'm surprised that there are any reefs in the area as I thought it got too hot for coral, furthermore that petrochemical pollution was killing off what little there was - refreshing to hear.

So do you get any larger sharks, or mantas?

Sounds cold compared to the Red Sea.

You should come and check out Saudi, I'm off to see the hammerheads in yenbu this weekend, normally also get to see grey and silver tip sharks as well as silkies.

Thanks again and if anyone else can recommend more sites please do!

Hi abuk. It takes about 2 hours from dubai to mussandam. It is worth it, i have not heard of any pollution, the EDA (Emirates diving association) has been protecting the local marine life and keeping the beaches and water clean. So pollution is very very rare. There are sharks such as reef tip sharks about 2-4 m (I saw 4 in 1 dive). Mostly down in the eastcoast (fujeirah) is where the sharks are) there are mantas and allot of stingrays (VERY BIG) and leopard rays/torpedo rays (ALSO VERY BIG-about 2m tails). There have been some sitings of Whale Sharks in mussandam but i only dived once so i havent seen them.

regards
Farid.

Whale Sharks in Mussandam, never would have suspected it! Saw a group of 10 in the Red Sea last year, about 1 hour north of Jeddah, incredible. Guess that means there also must be the occasional Manta.
Thanks for the comments again - I'm seriously considering the job now!
At Yenbu on Friday 4 grey reef sharks, a baby (less than a foot long) white tipe and 2 beautiful scalloped hammerheads that came about 3 metres away from us!
There's also the largest community of dugong outside Australia apparently in the vicinty of Bahrain, they call them Arous Al Bahr (Bride of the Sea) here in Saudi, there is a tiny community (1800 according to PERGSA) between Al Wajh and Umm Lujj but I have never yet to see one - any sightings in the Gulf?

Narked_at_60:
<snip>......... average temp in the water is 22'c.

regards
farid
Is that all? That's colder than Southern Japan and would surprise me! Did you make a typo - or is that really true?

AbuK:

I've never been diving in the Gulf itself, but Fujairah is pretty good. There is hard and soft coral. Lots of anemones and anemone fish, cuttle fish, lion fish, turtles, stingrays, sharks, etc. The water temp was 36 degrees Celsius (yes, that warm). The east coast of UAE is about 2 hours drive from Dubai. Mussandam is in Oman.- Not sure, but I think you need a visa. As for pollution, I saw a couple small crude oil spills. The locals all seemed to blame Pakistani tankers. I found a relatively clear spot on the beach and dove anyways. I still have a few stains from crude on my B.C. as a souvenir. And yes, us British Columbia guys do seem to get around for some reason. Try my link below for the underwater pictures.UAE DIVING

You only need a visa to Musandam if you go diving from the west coast. If you go to Dibba, there are no checkpoints.
Having never dived on the west coast up there, I can't give advice. On the east coast, the diving is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom