Diving in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Babs-Would-Be-Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I am interested in possibly diving in the UK - South or South West in September. However, having been "spoilt" with very good visibility abroad I am worried about visibility, currents etc. Are there any good dive spots where visibility is 20ft or greater as the norm. Obviously I know conditions can change. Also can people recommend good dive centres in the South and South West that take good care of a recently qualified OW?

Thanks!

Babs

Hmmm 20 ft the norm...? Vis today was 3m which is okay really and not too bad, should clear up a bit in the next day or so to 5-6m if we're lucky.

I can recommend Jurassic Coast Diving - PADI 5* IDC. http://www.jcdiving.co.uk/
They have a club that dives often and plenty of DM's and the like. You can hire your equipment, get air fills etc. Gives you good access to lots of dive sites around about and they are happy to get you in if they can.

If you do come down I am a club member and just about finished my OW so perhaps we can buddy up for a bit if you like if thats what you wanna do....

Jon

Hi Jon Boi - thanks for this. Someone else recommended Jurassic Coast as well. I saw your other post re diving in Budleigh. I know this town really well - have been visiting it since 1977 and have swam in the sea often there. I also did my windsurfing qualifications in Exmouth! Maybe one day I will get to dive in Budleigh - I believe there is quite a nice little reef not too far from shore. Thanks for your kind offer. Did you find the alongshore drift that is tidal a problem there when diving - or maybe you are still concentrating on the OW bit! I am still quite nervous about diving in the UK however. From my previous posts you can see that weight belts were a problem for me too. Much better now I have my own. Best of luck.

Babs

The South West is the best diving the UK has to offer. Viz in excess of 20m is not unheard of and 5-10 is common. Plymouth has some great centres and boats and Cornwall is better still if you can bear the drive with all the old folk at this time of year!!

Check out http://www.yorkshire-divers.com for buddies and other help.

Chris

Thanks! I am used to the "old folk" - quite a few live in Devon and many are friends (!) - actually they are quite a lively bunch when you get to know them and could people of my age to shame.

thanks for the advice on Cornwall. It is one of my favourite parts of England so I will look into this.

Cheers

Hi Babs - today the vis was 5-6m without a doubt. The drift you mention is noticeable coming back in on a surface swim. Under neath there can be quite a current making headway slow and hard work.

The reef is there as you said and has lots of life. Today saw big hermits, big spider and edible crabs, some flat fish and a few baby cuttlefis- Great!! :D

whats the average water temp?

I can't really give an opinion here as I'm furthur north, but while all the UK divers are in one post, does anyone dive a Buddy Commando BC or have an opinion on the new range? Sorry for changing the subject, but Im interested in buying one and they don't seem to be available or heard of in the US, so I need some British divers with opinions :D

Thanks!

Penguinboy:
I can't really give an opinion here as I'm furthur north, but while all the UK divers are in one post, does anyone dive a Buddy Commando BC or have an opinion on the new range? Sorry for changing the subject, but Im interested in buying one and they don't seem to be available or heard of in the US, so I need some British divers with opinions :D

Thanks!

The water temperatures on the Dorset coast was up to 21 degrees this July, so nice and warm. In the winter, it's around 5-6 degrees, so doable with a drysuit and short dives:wink:

Visibility varies - 3-6 meters is common, but this spring (May) I had 30 meters on the Kyarra outside Swanage.

The south coast is great diving, so get down there and have fun:wink:

E:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom