Diving in Turks Beaches Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
Last year I took the family to Beaches at the end of June for a week. Since I am the only diver, finding a dive friendly resort was not a high priority. While we liked Beaches, I was not too impressed with the diving for all of the reason stated in other threads here on SB. After we came home I received a call from the dive shop manager in response to a less than stellar review that I provided the corporate office. Normally I don't provide reviews but in this case I really liked the staff at the resort but made some recommendations about the dive shop (fewer divers per boat, not having to be rushed on the second dive etc.). The manager mentioned that they may be adding another boat to their fleet which would ease the congestion etc.

Has anyone been this year? If so, are they running more boats? I think last year they had 2 or 3 that went out. Is the experience any better than in previous years?

This year we are going back at the same time. Now I am thinking I might do one 2-tank dive with Dive Provo and do an afternoon dive with the resort. I know that I am paying for the diving with Dive Provo when I already have paid for it through Beaches. But I really want a quieter and slower paced experience.

I've been to the Beaches three years ago and was very new diver then. Boats were little congested and after being assigns to a dive master around 6-8 divers would herd dive as a group. Now I realize that's not the best dive practices for strict buddy diving regulations it's not too far from just about every dive charter I've been on since. Looking back it was one of the better and more memorable dive trips.

We are going back this July and I'll now have one of my regular dive buddies, my now 17 year old daughter who ironically was certified during our last dive vacation at the Beaches resort.

Personally since the dive trips are included I'm wouldn't shell out any more money for a dive trip. Since I have a non diving wife and two other kids who don't dive the ability to get my dives in and then have lunch as soon as we get off the boat is priceless. It depends on exactly what you are looking for in a dive experience. I'm not sure Dive Provo will take you to any other special site you wouldn't have gone with Beaches. You might have fewer divers on board but that's a lot of money just to cut the group size by a few divers. My boat dives with boats on Maui and Kona in Hawaii, Nassau in the Bahamas, and Cancun, Mexico all had similar groups with similar experiences. In fact, the Nassau dive boat guide took off so fast my daughter and I were separated on the reef. It's a good thing I always try and keep a mental note of where the dive boat is and got us back without incident.

I've been to the Beaches three years ago and was very new diver then. Boats were little congested and after being assigns to a dive master around 6-8 divers would herd dive as a group. Now I realize that's not the best dive practices for strict buddy diving regulations it's not too far from just about every dive charter I've been on since. Looking back it was one of the better and more memorable dive trips.

We are going back this July and I'll now have one of my regular dive buddies, my now 17 year old daughter who ironically was certified during our last dive vacation at the Beaches resort.

Personally since the dive trips are included I'm wouldn't shell out any more money for a dive trip. Since I have a non diving wife and two other kids who don't dive the ability to get my dives in and then have lunch as soon as we get off the boat is priceless. It depends on exactly what you are looking for in a dive experience. I'm not sure Dive Provo will take you to any other special site you wouldn't have gone with Beaches. You might have fewer divers on board but that's a lot of money just to cut the group size by a few divers. My boat dives with boats on Maui and Kona in Hawaii, Nassau in the Bahamas, and Cancun, Mexico all had similar groups with similar experiences. In fact, the Nassau dive boat guide took off so fast my daughter and I were separated on the reef. It's a good thing I always try and keep a mental note of where the dive boat is and got us back without incident.

Good point about other ops going to the same sites. I guess I was spoiled at some of the dive trips I did several years ago where the Captain and Dive Master were very helpful and entertaining. At this point I may end up doing a few single tank afternoon dives versus the 2 tank morning dive. Either way it is better than diving in a local quarry!

A 2 tank morning gets you back to your hotel around 3:30-4:30pm with Dive Provo. Not complaining as we dove some of the best Caribbean dive sites at West Caicos and French Cay. It's just that those were loooooong boat rides from the south side of the island. We had just done the week prior in Salt Cay and were done by 12 with lunch ready as we ordered on our SI.

A 2 tank morning gets you back to your hotel around 3:30-4:30pm with Dive Provo. Not complaining as we dove some of the best Caribbean dive sites at West Caicos and French Cay. It's just that those were loooooong boat rides from the south side of the island. We had just done the week prior in Salt Cay and were done by 12 with lunch ready as we ordered on our SI.

You can get two tank dives in the bay with Dive Provo, fifteen minute ride each way. Lots of great sites. Back at Jimmy's Dive Bar in time for lunch :D

Hi Mike126,

If you'd be satisfied with the mediocre dives you described with Beaches, you should save the money and go ahead. If you'd prefer higher quality dives, I would consider going with an alternative operator

My son and I dived with Caicos Adventures and have nothing but good things to say about them. Their main boat is smooth, stable, and fast (43' power cat). You may dive with a DM or go off on your own with your buddy. You are not limited by time but by your gas or deco. Our 13 reef dives averaged a little over 64 minutes run time. Nitrox is readily available. On Thursdays, they offer a 3 tanker for more advanced divers that I would highly recommend. The best sites of West Caicos, French Cay, etc., are not close and you can expect 5 hour days on the average. This would probably get you back to Beaches too late for their afternoon 1 tanker

Enjoy your trip

And you wont have to do the BS pool check out dive that Beaches insists you do even if you are a DM. They only dive that pool dive once a day, so if you miss it on arrival day, it will cost you 2 days of diving on your trip.

Been to both Beaches at T&C and Sandals La Toc on St. Lucia and never had to do the check-out. The sign-up usually went something like this:

"When you dive last mon?"
"Last Saturday"
"Where you dive at?"
"Seattle"
"No problem mon, see you at the boat in the morning".

Being a current PNW diver seemed to carry it's own benefits. ;-)

If you're going to pay for an extra dive, I'd go with a smaller operation like Flamingo Divers, Caicos Advertures or Oasis Divers. There is also a seasonality to diving in Provo. In the winter, conditions can get a bit too rough on the north shore - off Grace Bay Beach, so Beaches will move their boats to the marina on the South shore. This is a bonus because they will take you to the better dive spots of West Caicos, French Cay and Sandbourne Channel. I like Beaches T&C for clients travelling as a family where they also want to get some dives in. For a few years this is the only way my husband and I were able to go diving as we didn't have anyone to leave the kids at home! We love seeing the sharks which is why we love T&C. Beaches is a bit of a cattle call and always will be, even if they have added additional boats. I also complained about them needing more boats - especially after opening Key West. They have updated their systems now...once you are in their system you will no longer need to do the check-out dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom