Diving in Victoria, BC, Canada.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just started with the sidemount this summer.

I converted my backplate/wing (Oxycheq) with the OMS profile sidemount adaptor.
It is functional and you can easily convert back to a BP/W configuration if you need too.

Since the two pieces are from different manufacturers, they do not match perfectly, extra straps hanging off, etc...not a problem for most open water dives.

You can find the OMS profile adapator for around $75 USD sometimes, plus shipping.

I have used it with both Al80's and Steel 100's.

I decided to stay mostly with sidemount - so broke down and purchased a dedicated sidemount BCD system last month.

I do recommend a sidemount course - it shaves off a lot of tinkering time and you pick up some great tips if you have the right instructor.

Pick an instructor that has been using sidemount for a while - the new PADI course is only a year old now, so some instructors are also very new to sidemount.

SDI/TDI runs a sidemount course as well.

My instructor is cave certified and has been using sidemount for years.

You can sidemount with only one tank. I hope to get more experience this summer with this method.

The only disadvantages I can think of -

Slightly more equipment.
Slightly longer set up time on shore, which like anything else becomes quicker with practice.

I have not tried diving off a boat with sidemount yet.

Andy Davis has an great website blogging about sidemount.

Cheers!

Hey Ken, thanks so much for all the info. It seems like the best way to go. Did you just use your current regs? Primary on one tank and octo on the other? Is the setup tied together like a manifold? Would it only be a new bcd and another first stage equipment wise? And would both have lines for drysuit and guages and bcd inflator? Thanks again! Maybe you could pm where to take the course. Cheers!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Are the tanks both independent or bridged like a manifold setup? Where does octo go? Would like to get an idea of cost and would probably join the course as well. Are you independent or with a local shop?

I'm independent (TDI/SDI/PADI) but work through Aquatek in Edmonton and frank whites when I'm in Victoria. The UTD system uses an isolatable manifold but independent sm is easy as well. Check out the UTD videos on YouTube and their website, excellent info. As mentioned Andy Davis has lots of good info as well. After diving back mount doubles for so many years I'm a big fan of side mount. UTD offers just about any course they teach in side mount.

Jay Schier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Ken, thanks so much for all the info. It seems like the best way to go. Did you just use your current regs? Primary on one tank and octo on the other? Is the setup tied together like a manifold? Would it only be a new bcd and another first stage equipment wise? And would both have lines for drysuit and guages and bcd inflator? Thanks again! Maybe you could pm where to take the course. Cheers!

Jay,

I did purchase some HOG reg sets for the sidemount, the first stage has a turret with a 5th LP port on the bottom, so the hose management in terms of positioning is better.

My wife is now converting to sidemount and is using my old Mares Navy Abyss first and second stage, as well as her Mares first stage. They seem to work fine so far on the four dives she has done sidemount.
We have placed the OMS sidemount adaptor on her Oxycheq travel softplate and 30# wing.

The set-up we use is independent tanks, no manifold. You have only one second stage on each tank and switch breathing from each tank during the course of the dive.

I do not know enough about the UTD system sidemount manifold – there is some controversy about it in sidemount circles. Some people think it is a solution looking for a problem, un-necessary bit of equipment.

My suggestion about it – see if anyone in Victoria is using the UTD sidemount system, and ask if they will let you test it out or explain its merits.
And that probably goes for any off the rack sidemount harness systems you might be interested in.

Decompression might be able to suggest someone, or as he mentions there are lots of YouTube videos on the various systems and configurations.

You might need a new BCD, depending on what you have now; some people try to rig their current BCD’s to dive sidemount with the OMS adaptor or other homemade solutions.

Some people hang them like stage bottles on the chest and waist d-rings…not generally considered stream-lined and a little clunky.

One of the benefits of sidemount is that it is highly user configurable and as long as nothing dangerous is happening, then what works for you, works for you.

As long as you and your buddy know how to share gas and assist each other in an emergency, then go diving.

Having written that, I’ll write that a course will show you what is considered best practices though.

I do not have any recommendations about instructors in Victoria, I’m out here in Calgary.

Equipment wise:
  • Sidemount BCD or BCD converted for sidemount
  • Bungee cord 5-6mm for wrapping around your tank valves and bringing the tank inline with your body and under your armpit. Or ring bungees like the Diverite system.
  • Two first stages, Two second stages
  • 5-7 foot regulator hose for air sharing, shorter regulator hose for second stage on bungee necklace around your neck. Mine is 30 inches.
  • BCD inflator hose and drysuit inflator hose, one on each tank, the BCD inflator on your left tank and drysuit inflator hose on your right tank. Generally shorter since they do not have to route over your back.
  • One tank strap and two bolt clips for each tank and a 2 inch stainless steel harness slider, strips of inner tube or elastic tank band to tuck long hose into as well as some cave line or paracord for the bolt snaps.
    You can also use a large hose clamp and fuel line/tube webbing in place of the tank strap.
    The tank strap method is preferable for travel and tank rentals, while the hose clamp method is good for tanks that you own.

Books/Videos:
Sidemount Diving DVD – Jeff Loflin and Jill Heinerth, not bad general info, bit of a Hollis infomercial at times.
Sidemount Profiles book – Brian Kakuk and Jill Heinerth, a good general overview
Sidemount for the Recreational Diver – Joe George, COJO diving in New Brunswick, pretty good and you can get it as a hard copy or PDF file.

Lots of YouTube videos and online info – the sidemount forum here on scuba board and several facebook pages.

:blush: Bit of a long post....

Jay,

I did purchase some HOG reg sets for the sidemount, the first stage has a turret with a 5th LP port on the bottom, so the hose management in terms of positioning is better.

My wife is now converting to sidemount and is using my old Mares Navy Abyss first and second stage, as well as her Mares first stage. They seem to work fine so far on the four dives she has done sidemount.
We have placed the OMS sidemount adaptor on her Oxycheq travel softplate and 30# wing.

The set-up we use is independent tanks, no manifold. You have only one second stage on each tank and switch breathing from each tank during the course of the dive.

I do not know enough about the UTD system sidemount manifold – there is some controversy about it in sidemount circles. Some people think it is a solution looking for a problem, un-necessary bit of equipment.

My suggestion about it – see if anyone in Victoria is using the UTD sidemount system, and ask if they will let you test it out or explain its merits.
And that probably goes for any off the rack sidemount harness systems you might be interested in.

Decompression might be able to suggest someone, or as he mentions there are lots of YouTube videos on the various systems and configurations.

You might need a new BCD, depending on what you have now; some people try to rig their current BCD’s to dive sidemount with the OMS adaptor or other homemade solutions.

Some people hang them like stage bottles on the chest and waist d-rings…not generally considered stream-lined and a little clunky.

One of the benefits of sidemount is that it is highly user configurable and as long as nothing dangerous is happening, then what works for you, works for you.

As long as you and your buddy know how to share gas and assist each other in an emergency, then go diving.

Having written that, I’ll write that a course will show you what is considered best practices though.

I do not have any recommendations about instructors in Victoria, I’m out here in Calgary.

Equipment wise:
  • Sidemount BCD or BCD converted for sidemount
  • Bungee cord 5-6mm for wrapping around your tank valves and bringing the tank inline with your body and under your armpit. Or ring bungees like the Diverite system.
  • Two first stages, Two second stages
  • 5-7 foot regulator hose for air sharing, shorter regulator hose for second stage on bungee necklace around your neck. Mine is 30 inches.
  • BCD inflator hose and drysuit inflator hose, one on each tank, the BCD inflator on your left tank and drysuit inflator hose on your right tank. Generally shorter since they do not have to route over your back.
  • One tank strap and two bolt clips for each tank and a 2 inch stainless steel harness slider, strips of inner tube or elastic tank band to tuck long hose into as well as some cave line or paracord for the bolt snaps.
    You can also use a large hose clamp and fuel line/tube webbing in place of the tank strap.
    The tank strap method is preferable for travel and tank rentals, while the hose clamp method is good for tanks that you own.

Books/Videos:
Sidemount Diving DVD – Jeff Loflin and Jill Heinerth, not bad general info, bit of a Hollis infomercial at times.
Sidemount Profiles book – Brian Kakuk and Jill Heinerth, a good general overview
Sidemount for the Recreational Diver – Joe George, COJO diving in New Brunswick, pretty good and you can get it as a hard copy or PDF file.

Lots of YouTube videos and online info – the sidemount forum here on scuba board and several facebook pages.

:blush: Bit of a long post....

Awesome awesome awesome!!! Thank you Ken T. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Sounds like it's reasonable regarding cost rather than hauling a pony around. Going to hit the dive shop in the morning and get things moving.

I appreciate everything guys!

I'll update once all the gear is assembled. :)

Forgot to add equipment wise:

Two SPGs and 6" high pressure hoses for them.

Small point, I like the Miflex hp hoses for the spgs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken T, is there someone there to work on HOG regs or do you overhaul them yourself?

There is going to be a SM course in Victoria in May by a very experienced SM instructor.

Who?

Back
Top Bottom