Diving Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that most divers would agree that some destinations are easier to access than others - we all dive sites close to home that provide easy entries and exits, we all have developed methods through which to transport our heavy gear to and from our sites, and most importantly, we all grow so tired of our local dives that we must hop onto planes to reach temperate, exotic, remote locations as often as we can.

There's no great need to get too excited here ... all divers are different, and we all have different physical abilities / needs at all times.

Let's try to remember that this thread was started with questions about Tao shops, and Buadhai also asked for helpful info concerning "the 'best' way to get to Koh Tao from Bangkok if comfort is more important than either time or money?"

As previously stated by other members, Tao is nearly accessible by plane. I've flown to Samui and taken the ferry from there ... it is easier than travel from BKK to Chumpon, and there are all sorts of services available for persons who need assistance.

Now are divers willing to pay the extra $$ for these services?

When visiting a country like Thailand, I would suspect that some prior research would be a good thing. Turning up for a trip to Koh Tao in a wheelchair or too lazy to carry your own bags... well, I am not exactly sure what someone would expect, but the reality is that Koh Tao isn't exactly 'disabled friendly'. If someone can't get along a wooden pier, then what are they gonna do on the dirt roads, sand paths and (occasionally) flooded out parts of Sairee??

If somone decides (as is their right) to vacation in a place like Koh Tao, then they have to accept what that place has to offer. If that place is unsuitable for them, then they hardly have the right to bitch and moan about it. It's still a 'bare-foot', adventurous sort of place. That isn't really suitable for people who turn up with roller-luggage, an attitude, and a lack of motivation to walk 200m down a sunny pier without the aid of a slave (sorry, I mean porter).

And I have seen questions about the stability of the pier in a previous post. Are all those slaves not going to increase the weight load and make that situation worse?
Koh Chang was one of my favourite islands in the quite recent past due to the lack of mass tourism, (this has now changed). I wouldnt like to try and count how many people I have met there that wanted to experience the rustic charm of the place to then sit complaining their 300baht per night beach hut does not have aircon. Where can I get steak and chips tonight. OMG No Mcdonalds. Cant eat that rice stuff for my breakfast. What you mean you cant call me a cab to take me home, its at least a kilometer!!! etc etc etc
For those that want conditions similar to what they have at home and require to be waited on constantly. Most western countries have an abundance of 5 star hotels and resorts, or there are tourist destinations such as mustique, maldives, seychelles etc. As you suggest a little research might be in order to ensure the place they are visiting does not disapoint.

Now are divers willing to pay the extra $$ for these services?

I'm sure that some are and some aren't. I'm comfortably retired now so can afford to pay a bit more to save some time and add some comfort. But, I spent most of my life looking for the best bargains.

No reason why we can't have a world full of options with plenty of shared information on why some things work well and others don't.

I appreciate the input. I've learned a lot, about both the KT options and people in general.

The pier at Ao Chalong was pretty rickety looking during the years I went there regularly. I figured, hey, what are the odds that it's going to collapse under me? Then I thought about it some more: I'm a 100 kgs, my gear bag and camera are another 20 kgs or so--or roughly twice the weight of a Thai guy with gear. If those timbers were going to collapse, the odds were pretty good they'd do so under my weight.

Vlad, the Chalong pier is now concrete and has vehicles running up and down its length to transport divers and all their gear--no more slaves, but also no more rustic charm. I live and work here, so rustic charm gets old after a while (and not too long a while, either); I save it for dive holidays! Then I can come back to my creature comforts--paved roads, bakeries, and all! (On my way later in the summer to Bali to stay in a budget bungalow at Tulamben and to let the slave girls, umm "equipment porters" carry my gear over the rocky shoreline for beach dives.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom