Diving Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to each their own, but I LOVE that dock

I'll admit - the first time I stepped onto the dock, I was slightly uncertain ...

Will I make it? Hmm, dunno, there sure are a lot of people ... what would the inspection certificate state is the maximum load? Now where have they hung that thing?

DSC04970.jpgDSC04965.jpg

(Pics courtesy of my dive buddy ...)

I'll admit - the first time I stepped onto the dock, I was slightly uncertain ...

Will I make it? Hmm, dunno, there sure are a lot of people ... what would the inspection certificate state is the maximum load? Now where have they hung that thing?

View attachment 94410View attachment 94411

(Pics courtesy of my dive buddy ...)

Agreed.

My comment was only reporting what I observed and heard directly, and that was a number of people dragging very heavy wheeled luggage behind them and they were obviously not very happy and were complaining about it, which I think they have a right to do.

Labor is cheap in Thailand and the price of Lompraya tickets are definitely not "cheap". It would be better for their business if they offered a bit of customer service to their customers for those who prefer help with their luggage (this is pretty basic, really).

Even in Bali, there are porters just about everywhere to help if needed, and this provides money to local people who work as porters. Porters are part of the local economy, and we see it everywhere in Bali; and they are very appreciative of the tips.

The same is true in most places in Thailand, so it is not a big deal for Lompraya to have the same thing, and I am sure that everyone benefits. Why force customers to drag heavy wheeled luggage up and down a pier when they could easily permit local people to work there and assist? I saw many people complaining about it, and I think they were perfectly within their right to do so. The customer is always right, in my view

Funny, recently in Bali, porter service at the Liberty Wreck in Tulamben costs around 1500 IDR (per person), which is around 5 baht. We saw a number of people diving there too "cheap" to support the local economy and refused porter service. Our dive groups always supported the local people working and enjoyed their big smiles and lovely "how are you?" happy faces after tipping them much higher than the price of porter tickets.

There are a lot of local people in the Chumpon area who would benefit from providing assistance to Lompraya passengers if Lompraya actually cared about providing a bit of service; and from what I saw, there are many, many Lompraya customers who would be more than happy to tip them.

Last edited:
Agreed.

My comment was only reporting what I observed and heard directly, and that was a number of people dragging very heavy wheeled luggage behind them and they were obviously not very happy and were complaining about it, which I think they have a right to do.

Them that do the moaning were not forced to travel and bring heavy luggage with them, and I cant believe how lazy many people have become over recent years. Simple really, if you dont want to carry it dont go, or dont take it, then there is nothing to complain about.
An addition to that for any able bodied diver if they are unable to carry their own equipment , I would be questioning their 'fitness' to dive.
On my annual trip back to the UK every summer when we are planning dive trips all too often when dive destinations are suggested, now all too often without any consideration about the quality of diving, all I hear is 'not going there the boat doesnt have a lift'!!! Unbelievable
Where will it all end? I can just see tourists being pushed around in a chair by locals like overgrown babies. maybe these factors are something to do with the growing obesity problems in the western world.

True, True, Lord Khram

People should all stay home and not fly, since they need the airlines to "carry" their luggage; and people should not go grocery shopping, since most need a car to "carry" their groceries for them; and people should not go diving on boats, since they need divemasters and boat boys to "carry" their tanks.

I just love your logic!

According to your logic, handicapped people should stay home too, because they need to be "carried" in a wheel chair, LOL.

What's next? We people who have a handicap should not visit KT because they are not fit enough or meet your standard of compassion and due care?

I think all the people who were suffering at Lompraya pier has a valid complaint, and they don't need to "stay home" because they wish to travel with their luggage or dive gear.

Maybe I should apologize to you for caring for others?

Who said all these fat jerks on the way to KT were diving anyway? Maybe the really svelte 20 somethings that weren't windgning were the divers and only the lazy fat bastards that were going to Koh Tao for the annual palm oil festival were lugging too much weight (body and otherwise) around and moaning and groaning.

Thanks for the picture, Currier. I've wanted something like that to explain certain aspects of life over here for a long time. Well put, no words :)

Actually, the people I saw heading to KT (with big luggage, complaining) on Lompraya were mostly a bit older (middle aged) people and none, as I recall, were "fat bastards".

Is the purpose of these replies is to paint anyone who brings luggage and dive gear to KT and in need of assistance as evil bastards because they are not young backpackers?

If so, I apologize as I did not realize it was only acceptable for slim, young people with tiny backpacks and tiny waists to visit islands in Thailand. I sure hope no handicap people want to visit, or perhaps any fat ugly ones. Maybe some SB contributors will just push them off the pier in their wheelchair for being old, fat, ugly, handicapped people with big luggage! Not allowed here, imperfect losers - SB posters don't like you!!

Sorry, I thought Thailand was a bit friendlier to tourists of all sizes, shapes, wallets, ages, and physical requirements.

My deepest apologies!

Actually, the people I saw heading to KT (with big luggage, complaining) on Lompraya were mostly a bit older (middle aged) people and none, as I recall, were "fat bastards".

Is the purpose of these replies is to paint anyone who brings luggage and dive gear to KT and in need of assistance as evil bastards because they are not young backpackers?

If so, I apologize as I did not realize it was only acceptable for slim, young people with tiny backpacks and tiny waists to visit islands in Thailand. I sure hope no handicap people want to visit, or perhaps any fat ugly ones. Maybe some SB contributors will just push them off the pier in their wheelchair for being old, fat, ugly, handicapped people with big luggage! Not allowed here, imperfect losers - SB posters don't like you!!

Sorry, I thought Thailand was a bit friendlier to tourists of all sizes, shapes, wallets, ages, and physical requirements.

My deepest apologies!

NO, please, iamafish... don't take me seriously at all. My post was meant with the upmost ammount of silliness. If you read any of the previous posts I wrote, you (I hope??) will know I was trying to be helpful. It just got all a bit wanky and funny to me.

the statement that implied the ferry was for divers only:
"An addition to that for any able bodied diver if they are unable to carry their own equipment , I would be questioning their 'fitness' to dive."
just tickled my sarcasm bone.

My apologies (this is sincere here) for taking the bait.

iamafish, I do agree with your post to a certain extent, the part that the pier is wobbly and not the best sample for the premium price that Lomprayah charges for their service, on the other hand please leave all those porters out!!!! I think that nowadays more and more non divers are visiting Koh Tao and it's few hi end resorts but the overall island service is still catering to and geared up for backpackers.

On the other hand, we most certainly have to come to the conclusion that Thailand is a far cry from being wheel chair friendly.

When visiting a country like Thailand, I would suspect that some prior research would be a good thing. Turning up for a trip to Koh Tao in a wheelchair or too lazy to carry your own bags... well, I am not exactly sure what someone would expect, but the reality is that Koh Tao isn't exactly 'disabled friendly'. If someone can't get along a wooden pier, then what are they gonna do on the dirt roads, sand paths and (occasionally) flooded out parts of Sairee??

If somone decides (as is their right) to vacation in a place like Koh Tao, then they have to accept what that place has to offer. If that place is unsuitable for them, then they hardly have the right to bitch and moan about it. It's still a 'bare-foot', adventurous sort of place. That isn't really suitable for people who turn up with roller-luggage, an attitude, and a lack of motivation to walk 200m down a sunny pier without the aid of a slave (sorry, I mean porter).

Devon Diver, as just pointed out in my previous post, whether the hc KT people like it or not, their island is very slowly changing and more and more catering to non divers/families etc, they're still a minority but there are more and more hi end resorts and the type of customer that you describe will be seen more and more.

The state of the pier does not reflect the premium price that Lomprayah charges, period, no wonder people complain about it!

It's not only Koh Tao that isn't wheel chair friendly, try getting around on an average side walk in Bangkok in a wheel chair or with a pram and that's the capitol city!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom