Diving Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Busdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good Morning,

Just wondering about different sites that may be located on the Lake Erie coast. Is there any shore diving? I want to drive over next weekend and do some exploring (and meeting folks if they want to dive), just looking for different areas. I am also looking for shops that may run charters. It would be nice to try to get some things set up for late August.

Thanks in advance.

Bus

My wife and I are planning to drive up Thursday from Columbus for a long weekend & we're also interested in any dive shop/charter recommendations.

Some options for the western part of Lake Erie:

1) Point Pelee/Pelee passage - lots of wrecks and most are relatively shallow although since they are shallow they are pretty broken up. Lake can get churned up relatively quick due to shallow depths which can mess up the vis but if the weather is good then there is some very nice diving. Two charter options for this area - 1) is Waruwanago Boat Charters (say it really fast - you'll get the joke then), run by Jeff Olmstead. Depending on group size he can give you different options for charters. Website is: Waruwanago Boat Charters and his email is jeffo@mnsi.net. 2nd option is to check out the dive shop kingsville - website is Dive Shop II. Kingsville is close to the Point Pelee area and the shop has a charter service as well.

2) Erieau - Further east of Pelee but still relatively shallow with most wrecks in the 20-40' range. There is a wreck close to the dock - about a 5 min boat ride called the Lycoming. I've dove it about 4 times and it is large with lots to see on it but broken up. There is also the wreck of the Colonial which is almost against the shore and have heard of people diving it from shore access although haven't done it myself. Closest dive shop would be in Chatham - Red Devil Scuba, and contact number is (519) 358-1988. He can help you arrange charters although he doesn't run any himself. He has some contacts that will run them and will do his best to get you out. He does run some organized charters during hte year and I believe he has a day set up for later August to do some of the wrecks in Erieau.

3) St. Clair River - either diving at the town of Port Lambton or further upstream in Sarnia. If you want more details about wither spot then let me know - mostly it is just a drift dive looking for old bottles and artifacts although there are a couple wrecks in Sarnia and there is one in Sombra as well (across from Marine City, Michigan) that can be good when the vis is co-operating.

4) Grand Bend - 8.5 miles from Grand Bend is the wreck of the Wexford - maximum depth is 80' and this wreck is in amazing condition. Lots to see and do, definitely worth two dives. Charter options would be to talk to either the guy at Red Devil Scuba as he can direct you to the charter he uses out of London or go to the Sarnia Charters thread is this forum and there is a guy out of Sarnia that runs charters to this amazing wreck (sunk in the great storm of 1913) - check out The Wexford - Mystery Shipwreck of the 1913 Great Storm.

5) Trout Lake quarry - located in the town of Innerkip which is just off Hwy 401 (between London and Kitchener, just past Woodstock). There is a fill station there and small dive shop (I believe PADI). Lots of stuff sunk in the quarry and depth is 20-25'. Biggest caution is that the bottom is one of those "liquid silt bottoms" and you will find out real quick how good your navigation and bouyancy control is.

6) Tobermory - great diving here, with two dive shops and multiple charters. Vis is usually really good although it can be on the cooler side - July 4th weekend the surface was 60 degrees with thermoclines at 35' (48-50 degrees) and 80' (38-40 degrees). There are a couple options for shore diving here but charters to some of the better dive sites are pretty common.

Hope this helps and if you are looking for a dive buddy then drop me a line and provided I'm not busy I'll be happy to go diving with you.

Not sure if Turkey point/ Long Point is really considered west but there are great wrecks to check out there and Scuba Plus (google it you'll find them) is the charter I have used a couple times there. There were really nice and the wrecks were fantastic.

mike

We used Discovery Dive Charters out of Cleveland and really liked them. The all-day trip we took included food and drink, might want to check and see if they still do that. I thought it was a really nice touch.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom