Diving next to Mansfield dam near the jailhouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there almost made into shrimp bait
Ages ago... 2002.

The way we measured the height was the top of the jailhouse that provided water level.

Evil night dive
We were at the 100ft range (inside) when the alarm rang out.
At that time the warning was a siren that made a very distinctive noise (ack,ack) that ran continiusly. Then the turbines started turning. Combination of that noise you get at the airport when the luggage turstil alarm starts combined with a jet turbine.

Since then I have been happy to stay on the outside and look in.

Has anyone dove the old cement factory were the tram line ran upto the damn?
Just curious.

Later, Andrew

About 15 years ago I got to tour Tom Miller Dam while they were rebuilding the generators. They had the pinstock for one of the Generators dried out so we were able to go inside and get a fish eye look at the turbines.

The opening is very large you could probably fit a bus in the entrance. But then it snakes around and the water is swept into the turbines via a conch type tunnel. The tunnel is about 6 feet when you first start to pass the turbine and at the end it's no more than 3 feet. As you circle the turbine there are vertical doors like venetian blinds. These doors are heavy and big and they are used to regulate the amount of water flowing into the turbine. If you looked through the slats in the doors you could see the turbine itself. It looks like a giant Boat Proppeller but the blades were bigger so that you could not see past them. This giant proppeller turns very fast and is only milimeters from the edge to the sides of the tube. They told me the pinstocks at Mansfield were smaller, but the turbine configuration may be very similar.

Not all the "holes" at Mansfield lead to the Turbines. There are only three Generators at Mansfield and 24 flood gates. The Floodgates probably just have a door which is operated from inside the dam (got a tour of Mansfield dam too but didn't get to see the pinstocks). These tubes are only designed to dump water. If they open one of these while you are in it you will probably not like the ride but if you are really lucky and don't get caught on the door you might survive. (stress might).

If you find yourself in one of the turbines when they open it. It's all over. If the wicket gates (vertical doors) are only open a crack you will be lucky if you just get pinned in there. But no one will know and you will probably run out of air before they turn it off. I doubt anyone would be that lucky. If they are open wider and you get sucked in picture a blender. You will be applesauce when you get through.

I think it would be a very bad idea to find yourself in any of these tubes when they opened up. Yes the flow is slower outside the hole where it is big but it gets small very quickly and when it gets small the current is much stronger.

I don't know if I've ever said this before but Fixer is right to be cautious around those openings. I'm terrified of them. If you're going down there don't go into the jailhouses.

Has anyone dove the old cement factory were the tram line ran upto the damn?
Just curious.

Later, Andrew

Yes, I dived it a few times a few years back and then recently went out with Lake Travis Scuba to find it again. Alias, we didn't find it. We are going back soon to relocate. I have a lot of GPS coordinates for the area but you need to know which way to go once you are on the coordinates :confused:.

anyway, it is a really fun dive when you can find it.

Layne

Go one... stop teasing...
1. Depth,
2. Did you run an ascent line or did you pop a bag from depth?
3. Whats the foot print of the site
- any thoughts?
Sorry, that I am so demanding- just this gut feeling that it would be a blast!

Besides, I need a good reason for Trimix class and the damn face is not cutting it.

Thanks Lanye
Regards, Andrew

Yes, I dived it a few times a few years back and then recently went out with Lake Travis Scuba to find it again. Alias, we didn't find it. We are going back soon to relocate. I have a lot of GPS coordinates for the area but you need to know which way to go once you are on the coordinates :confused:.

anyway, it is a really fun dive when you can find it.

Layne

I put all the coordinates into a google earth map. Do you use google earth? I can send you all my stuff for lake travis if you like?

I'd be interested in your Lake Travis stuff for google earth...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom