Diving out of Seattle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc60625

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be visiting Seattle from Chicago in a couple of weeks for a wedding... does anyone run regular boats out of the Seattle area or is it a weekend only/charter by demand type of thing typically?

In the event i do get to dive, what are water temps like in late September?

Thanks,

JC

When are you going to be here?

At this time of year, charters will tend to be a weekend thing, because they need enough divers to break even, and it's hard to do on a weekday. If you have enough divers (usually 4) though, they will run on a weekday.

But even absent charters, there's a lot of good diving you can do in the Sound. We are fortunate to have a wealth of shore diving sites -- some are spectacular, and some are just accessible in any conditions. But, for example, I have seen my only six gill shark and my biggest ever octopus at one of our silty, ordinary training sites. So you can't discount them, and for people coming from out of town, ANY site is interesting, because everything in it is new.

I'll be there from the 24th to the 29th, but with the wedding on saturday i can't really dive that day.

for shore dives do any of the local shops have guides you can hire? I've done plenty of cold water but would be out of my element in puget sound.

Thanks again.

Yes, you can hire DM's to do a "Discover Local Diving" day with you -- but you can also just hook up with experienced local divers. Depending on when you are here, I might be able to dive with you, and failing that, I can recommend some folks. If you would prefer someone with more professional training, I can steer you to some good places to arrange that, as well.

cool... we'll definitely need to rent some gear so a LDS will be required for at least part of it. any recommendations?

i'm guessing we'll be able to dive either friday the 25th or monday the 28th.

jc60625, which dive shop to recommend depends a great deal on where you are staying around Seattle -- it's a big area!

My LDS, which I would recommend wholeheartedly, because they are good people, have good gear and clean gas, is Northwest Sports Divers in Kenmore. But they won't be convenient to you if you are staying somewhere in the South Sound.

Since these are very specific local questions, you might consider posting on our small local board, nwdiveclub.com. If you tell folks where you are going to be, they can head you for good resources.

kpovine, you might benefit from posting there, too. I'm sorry I didn't know you were coming; I would have been very happy to have joined you on a Naknek charter, but I've made diving arrangements with someone else for the 22nd already.

TSandM,
Thanks for the information on a local dive shop. I am in luck as I just heard from Naknek and they have a couple of divers signed up for Wednesday the 23rd and I will be get a ride and a dive with them. I am looking forward to it. It will be my first dive in the Seattle area.
kpovine

Sent you a PM. I am a local divemaster and am more than happy to buddy up- no charge.

Buccaneer,
I am new and I am not sure what a PM is. I think is it a private message but I will have to figure out how to find it, read it and respond. I haven't finalized any plans with Naknek yet but once I do I will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom