Diving Quarrys in Ohio. What Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it’s worth. Here was my profile for fundies a few years ago at Gilboa. It was on August 8th. Temp was 73. It’s comical how much you don’t move. I did mine in a 5mm wetsuit

IMG_1660.jpeg

I know which class you are taking :). I might see you at the beginning of yours. I’d recommend 5mm wet gloves so that you can easily manipulate your clips and valves. If you have never used dry gloves, fundies is not the time to learn that new feel. I checked my log book over the past few years. Looks like temps at 20-30 were about 65 to 75. The platforms are at 20 feet so i wouldn’t imagine you will be at 30 ft
Thankfully I have been using dry gloves exclusively. Lake Superior will do that to a person. But if temps will be that nice, I will definitely use wet gloves. I do still fumble quite a bit when manipulating clips and stowing my light cord. Here’s a lot of fumbling when clipping off my light to start / stop my GoPro so I can try to figure out why my back kicks suck:
All critical feedback is welcome :)

For short shallow summer dives 7mm.

I would go dry though.

Next couple questions. Should I go semi dry 7mm or not? Also what brands should I be looking at?

I tried on a ScubaPro 7mm semi dry yesterday at a dive shop. It was about $750. It had no pockets(Im not sure if thats a problem or not). If Im dropping $800 or so dollars I want to make sure they make a good suit.

Edit: Looking at ScubaPros website it seems the only semi dry they make is the Nova Scotia. Thats not what I tried on as the NS has a pocket. The guy at the shop was mistaken because the one I tried on looks like the Dive Steamer.

I don't know your finances, but if you are able, getting into a drysuit for diving up here is better than using a wetsuit. The lakes are always cold at depth.

Seaskin is an online favorite, but the wait time will mean you won't get the suit until fall at the earliest. If you wanted to support your LDS you could see what they carry, but you will pay more than the seaskin.

For me, getting a drysuit quickly was a no brainier, I was in my Bare 7mm wetsuit for less than a year. I knew I wanted to get into deeper diving and eventually year round diving and both of those require a drysuit.

You will definitely want pockets on whatever suit you get. 2 if you can, but I would say that 1 pocket is required.

A "Farmer John" 7 mm wetsuit would be a very comfortable choice for this type of diving. If not familiar, this is a two-piece wetsuit -- the lower half of which has legs and a sleeveless top...while the upper half is like a long-sleeve "shortie" fitted over the latter. Your core will be in two-ply 7 mm thickness! You will likely need more weight to submerge, but I think that is an agreeable trade for the comfort provided.

I used to don such a wetsuit in diving a Pennsylvania quarry (once even on a New Year's Eve dive). I also twice wore it to a depth of 90' on a November coastal NJ wreck dive. These remarks are merely intended to relate the extremes in which this type of wetsuit was insulation enough for me.

Also, as stated above, a drysuit is very worthy of consideration in northeast USA! Since converting to diving dry, I now very rarely use a wetsuit in this geography.

I wouldn't bother with a wet suit unless staying above 20 ft or so. I own two suits, a 3mmm and hooded vest and if it's too cold for that a dry suit.

A lot of people are saying dry suit. Im honestly not sure if I am ready for that yet. As far as training is concerned. I am also only an OW certified diver so as of now I dont dive beyond my certification. Was hoping a 7 mm would allow me to dive in july-sept as thats when I will be available to hit the quarrys.

Hollis, Bare, Aqualung all sell a 6-7-8mm semi dry that is a great suit. Hollis calls it the Neotek, but they are all the same suit. It also has pockets.
They are very warm and nice to dive. Hard to get in and out of, to the point of almost requiring a buddy to help but awesome once in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom