Diving shops in Houston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odde

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
In january I am going on a school trip all the way from Norway to Houston, Texas, so I was wondering if there is any decent diving shops in Houston, im mostly into freediving, but anything will do
Thanks

Howdy and welcome to the SB.

WOW now that will be a cool trip!!

I would love to go to Norway for a trek....best of luck while here in Texas.

:wink:

Hi
In january I am going on a school trip all the way from Norway to Houston, Texas, so I was wondering if there is any decent diving shops in Houston, im mostly into freediving, but anything will do
Thanks
Coming to NASA?? or for "Big Oil"?
No beach diving here and in Jan. you would want a thick wetsuit/drysuit to dive though not nearly as cold as you guys can get!!
There are a lot of shops in here but Houston is a BIG place. It takes almost an hour without rush hour traffic driving 70mph to go from one end to the other. If you are on the south side near NASA then you can go to Divers Paradise Scuba "Divers Paradise" Houston, TX for all of your diving needs! but most people here do not freedive unless they are on vacation somewhere else like Mexico, etc.

From and old post of mine:

Depends on what part of Houston you are in, but here's some shops:
Gander Mountain on IH-45 North in Spring. It may be a bit of a hike but they have a pretty large SCUBA area with a good selection of items from multiple manufacturers with very good prices and a helpful, knowledgeable staff (from what I hear all three Houston Gander Mountains have a dive section). There are some good shops in Houston but you'll probably have to drive a little for some better service.
Gigglin Marlin - Nice little shopsouthwest of downtown, I did meet a couple of their employees/divers diving at Aquarena and they were really nice.
Hydrosports - the dive shop in Lake Jackson for Mammoth Lake, Brand new store Pictures look great.
WW Diving - Another little hike to Humble, this shop comes recommended from a good friend of mine, and I think they handle tech stuff. (yet another I would like to visit.)
Kickady SCUBA - is in the Woodlands and is run by a really nice family that just loves to dive, and they have a Tiki-Bar IN THE SHOP!!!
Houston SCUBA Academy - I'm pretty sure this is the oldest dive shop in Houston, I got certified through a sister store (now defunct) back in 1989, there still in business so they must be doing something right, good size store and they're a Scubapro dealer (best regulators in my opinion.)
Scuba, Inc. - Scuba, Inc.
Scuba Houston - Scuba Houston Diving Snorkeling Rescue Lessons Instruction Training
Also check out the City Of Houston Underwater Mariners Social Diving Club - or CHUM for short, a great group of fun loving divers in the Houston area who dive a lot and have monthly drink-er-I-mean meetings at the Stag's Head Pub near downtown.
For Houston Diving there is The Blue Lagoon, North of Houston near Huntsville.
South of town there is Twin Lakes, off Hwy 288, and Further South is Mammoth Lake, (see Hydrosports Above.)
Besides, Lake Travis, for Central Texas there is Canyon Lake outside New Braunfels, Diving there is usually off North Park, Aquarena Center in San Marcos, The Comal River in New Braunfels. Heres a link to Dive Site List from the Texas A&M Scuba Club website. Heres another Texas List with some links, has some of the same info.
Water temps in May are usually Mid to upper 70's I usually dive a MM wet suit all summer. Hope this helps.

Thanks allot for the help everybody, allot to choose from. Houston sounds allot bigger then I expected, can't wait until January! Mostly coming there for "big oil" visiting like 8 of the bigger oil companies, but also going to visit NASA.

I vote Gigglin' Marlin -- my dive shop of choice.

C.H.U.M. meets 3rd Thrusday of the month near the Gigglin'.

Hope your visit to Houston.

Vanessar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom