Question Houston Dive Shop - Regulator maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael Moreira

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello friends,

I'm looking for a dive shop to service my regulator in Houston area, do you have any place to suggest?

Thank you!

Brand of regulator will have a significant impact. If you take it to a shop that doesn't carry the brand, they either won't take it, or just ship it out to someone else anyway.

Out of the 4 shops I've used in Houston, I have had inconsistent to poor service experience from all of them. But none of it has been recent. Last time I had gear serviced by someone else was probably 4-5 years ago.

When you learn your regs you can start simple like cleaning the threads of your yoke to free your knob

Brand of regulator will have a significant impact. If you take it to a shop that doesn't carry the brand, they either won't take it, or just ship it out to someone else anyway.

Out of the 4 shops I've used in Houston, I have had inconsistent to poor service experience from all of them. But none of it has been recent. Last time I had gear serviced by someone else was probably 4-5 years ago.
This post is nearly copy+paste of what I was going to say. IMO, you're much better off having an online shop with a good reputation for regulator servicing do it. Also, brand has a major impact on who will service a regulator.

The simple explanation on brand, is that servicing each brand tends to require specialized tools, access to the service-kits, and over time you build up knowledge of how to quickly disassemble and assemble that brand's regulators. (This is also speaking from DIY experience, because the first servicing my regulators took forever, but now I can easily take them apart and put them back together.)

This post is nearly copy+paste of what I was going to say. IMO, you're much better off having an online shop with a good reputation for regulator servicing do it. Also, brand has a major impact on who will service a regulator.

The simple explanation on brand, is that servicing each brand tends to require specialized tools, access to the service-kits, and over time you build up knowledge of how to quickly disassemble and assemble that brand's regulators. (This is also speaking from DIY experience, because the first servicing my regulators took forever, but now I can easily take them apart and put them back together.)
Thank you everyone for the replies...!!! mine is not a fancy regulator.. it's a Mares 22X, I've been using for around 4 years and never did any maintenance... I was thinking to bring to a shop before my next trip...

I did some quick searching of scuba-board to look for possible online mail-in regulator maintenance provider recommendations. I found this post which might get you started, and underlined the relevant part.

IMO, there's not much point in building a relationship with a shop that far away.

Instead, I'd buy either from Deep6gear.com or one of the shops with a national footprint through their web store that have a solid mail in service department like scuba.com (formerly leisurepro.com), scubatoys.com or diverightinscuba.com. If you have a local independent that sells Edge HOG regs, that would work too.

Parts availability for self servicing can be tricky in the US. All of the major manufacturers restrict parts sales to consumers. I have had to buy Mares parts from Italy (BTW, I've had good luck with these guys MARES REGULATORS ). You can find original or aftermarket service kits for a few of the classic regs some of which are still being sold new, for example from Regulator Service Kits .

The major exceptions are Deep6 and Edge HOG. Both offer service kits and self service courses, although you might need to travel for them. Hog parts can be purchased by anyone. Last I heard (you should confirm with them before purchasing) Deep6 wants to see that you are trained to service diaphragm regs before they will send you a kit, either through one of their courses or something similar such as the HOG course or @rsingler 's comprehensive online course.

You have time either way. Pretty much all new regs have 2 year service intervals.

Thank you everyone for the replies...!!! mine is not a fancy regulator.. it's a Mares 22X, I've been using for around 4 years and never did any maintenance... I was thinking to bring to a shop before my next trip...

Dive Zone Scuba is a Mares shop located down in Pearland/South Houston. I wouldn't hesitate to have Chris work on my regs if I was in Texas.

If you are up north, there is also Woodlands Dive Center up off of the I45. They sell Aqualung and Apeks but are certified to work on all the major brands.....the owner of the shop seems like a good guy and knowledgeable and should be able to overhaul a Mares MR22X.

To be honest, I would highly recommend picking up an IP gauge (approx $20) and check that your regulator IP is correct, then test it in a pool (Woodlands Dive Center has a pool if you don't otherwise have one available), and make sure it breathes OK...if 1st stage IP is correct and there are no problems with the 2nd stages, I would defer maintenance until after your trip....most problems with regulators generally manifest immediately after servicing.

There are 2 major thought camps when it comes to regulator maintenance:
1. Follow manufacturers' and dive shop recommendations and have serviced every however many years/dives (usually every 1 or 2 years / 100-200 dives).

2. Don't fix what isn't broken....understand aspects of the regulator and address/service when signs/symptoms present themself, such as unsteady IP, free flow issues, build up of verdigris, suspected water intrusion (such as when rinsing/soaking 1st stage), or any other abnormal behavior/issues.

Here is a link to an IP gauge for less than $15. This tool is indispensable at helping one understand the health of their reg set.

Here is a link to where you can find maintenance manuals for your regulators.

Don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions you have.

Best of luck.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom