Diving terrorists??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_katt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Found this article in today's Sydney Morning Herald

"New Zealand police investigate disappearing diving students
December 30 2002

New Zealand police are investigating three Middle Eastern men who enrolled in a diving course that would have taught them how to use explosives.

The three signed up for a commercial diving course in Hamilton but, after paying $NZ8000 ($7470) each, two of them failed to show up, the Sunday Star-Times reported.

The other man attended only the first session, and none of the three has since tried to get his money back.

The incident has prompted fears that terrorists could be trying to learn how to carry out underwater attacks.

New Zealand police confirmed that they were conducting a national investigation into the incident, which occurred about six months ago.

Alan Strong, owner of Hamilton's Dive HQ, said he had notified police about the three men, but said officers missed the chance to seize closed circuit television footage of them because they did not follow up the matter until weeks later.

The diving school's cameras automatically tape over their security footage at the start of each month.

"I do not know if they were terrorists, but to have these three Middle Eastern guys, and then they never come back for their money, is not a New Zealand thing at all. It was unusual," Mr Strong said.

"They had no diving experience at all so we enrolled them on a three-month learners' course.

"The one that did turn up rang the next week and said he had broken his leg and arm but we've never heard from them since."

Dave Moran, editor of Dive New Zealand magazine, said he believed terrorists might be training for a possible strike.

He said that the FBI had been collecting details of all scuba students from the Professional Association of Diving Instructors for the past three years.

"They seem to be very worried about some underwater attack on bridges or oil rigs, and the FBI is looking at this sort of terrorism and an underwater threat."

New Zealand police yesterday declined to give further details of the investigation, but said it was continuing.

"We are talking to some people who enrolled in a dive course," a police spokeswoman, Susan Milner, told the New Zealand Press Association.

The police might issue a statement on the investigation today, she said."

Did anyone in NZ hear about this?

from the Sydney Morning Herald Webpage tonite...

"NZ defends dive school inquiry
Monday 30 December 2002, 18:30PM

Police acted as soon as they were informed of a group of men who enrolled in a Hamilton dive course involving explosives, Associate Justice Minister Margaret Wilson said on Monday.

She was responding to calls by the opposition National party to explain "police failures" in investigating a tip-off that the men, described as being of Middle Eastern appearance, had failed to show up for the $NZ8,000 ($A7,420) course but not sought refunds.

Police confirmed on Monday they had interviewed two men and inquiries were continuing.

Wilson, the government's duty minister, said she had been fully briefed by police and was satisfied they had acted quickly.

"The investigation so far has not produced any evidence of links with terrorism," she said in a statement.

However, "the government, police and security agencies take these things very seriously".

The National's police spokesman Tony Ryall said security video footage of the men was lost because police delayed responding to the tip-off.

But a police statement said details were passed on to them in July, one month after the enrolments at the diving school.

"Police and other agencies commenced inquiries immediately. The identities of the individuals were verified from the outset and both have been interviewed," the statement said.

"As a result, a number of matters arising are the subject of further inquiry.""

Keep us informed of any new outcomes.

Its quite interesting - although I do have my doubts that they would attack from underwater.

ScubaBaby once bubbled...
Keep us informed of any new outcomes.

Its quite interesting - although I do have my doubts that they would attack from underwater.

who would have thought terrorists would do what they already have done?

Come on, they don’t have diving instructors in the middle east or commercial divers who know how to use explosives, they are every where.
And why they went in the first place if they r not going to attend the course???
Anyway every one are afraid for middle eastern men and terrorist they have complex from then now ….that I why the police are thinking this way .
Maybe these men had a work opportunity as a commercial divers and they came to take the course.

new PADI specialty:

Explosive Ordinance

I'm not worried...if we dive as badly
as the Instructors on the board say
we do, these "terrorists" will probably
sink like stones.:D

Lawman once bubbled...

I'm not worried...if we dive as badly
as the Instructors on the board say
we do, these "terrorists" will probably
sink like stones.:D
LOL! New definition: Scuba Depth Charge .... SDC

Any SCUBA diver who bumps into coral reef is a TERRORIST!!! You should be jailed for 30 years...and be forced to watch DIR videos the whole time.

There are places all over the world to learn to fly a jet...why would a terrorist go to Florida?...but, they did.

Good question, why would someone spend $8,000 on a course and then skip it and not even try to get their money back? Most normal people would make an effort to get a refund. Perhaps they were skittish and looking over their shoulders and were afraid to go back and arouse suspicion.

I'm not saying they are or aren't terrorists, but whether they were from the Middle East or from Topeka, I would say they warrant further investigation. ANYBODY suspicious should not be overlooked. Two people (who looked slavic and spoke Russian with no accent) recently drove two trucks packed with explosives through several Russian Military checkpoints to detonate them outside a government building in Chechnya killing over 60 people.
Probably safe to assume they were connected to Chechnian seperatists which have been documented to have ties to muslim extremists...and these guys looked like Russians....

..You never can tell...better safe than sorry. I'm not talking about locking them up for three years without access to lawyers or anything...just saying it's worth a second look.

Back
Top Bottom